Front diff drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a leveling kit already on my Tahoe. But I picked up a set of ford keys from a guy and was going to install them to get more lift. However I've been told by the tire and alignment shop I use that I will need a diff drop. They have seen other silverado's and Tahoe's that when the ford keys are cranked up it puts the cv's in a bind. Has anyone dealt with this or had any issues. I don't want a full blown lift due to kids and wife. Just want the front up another inch or so to level it on out cause it still has a rake in the front.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
You won't need a diff drop if you crank front end 1". You also don't need lift keys if you only want to level it. Just jack front end up and crank stock keys then lower on ground to check level height.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have spacers in the rear along with the leveling keys in front. That's why I wanted the ford keys cause I like the rear where it is at and wanted to get the front on up to match.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I have spacers in the rear along with the leveling keys in front. That's why I wanted the ford keys cause I like the rear where it is at and wanted to get the front on up to match.

So you're saying that you already have leveling keys, but it's still not enough? Have you maxed them out already with the bolts?

I just put keys for leveling a Ford in mine, got it back yesterday, but the bolts are only about 1/2" in, and I'm pretty much on the bumpstops. IF I were to cut the bumpstops out, I COULD conceivably raise it more, but my CV angles aren't the greatest right now, any more crank and they would detonate quickly.

If you want to go beyond what the 3" keys will get you..... you need a full suspension lift, including a diff drop, and DEcrank the keys on that to bring the front down.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a level kit yes front and rear. Keys are turned up have more bolt in on one side than the other. But it still could use another inch in the front to match the rear. That's why I got some ford keys but was told I'd need a diff drop to get what I want.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a level kit yes front and rear. Keys are turned up have more bolt in on one side than the other. But it still could use another inch in the front to match the rear. That's why I got some ford keys but was told I'd need a diff drop to get what I want.

Again, read my post about using the Ford keys above.

Lifted Ford keys WOULD allow you to crank them up more, but there are bumpstops preventing them from moving those A-Arms further than what your Chevy keys can. The only reason I got the Ford keys was that the same E-bay seller had them with other parts I needed, he combined shipping, and they were almost $10 cheaper than the same Chevy keys.

THE ONLY REASON.

And I may end up turning them down a bit, just so I can have SOME downward suspension travel. As it is, it rides rough, but I don't mind it.

There are only TWO ways to get your truck level, if you already have front keys:
1) take out your rear lift spacers, and replace them with ones that are the same as how much you want to lift your current front to. You'll drop your rear to match the front.

OR

2) Get a true suspension lift, one that WILL drop your front differential, and change mounting points and angles of everything on your front end, allowing you to DRIVE SAFELY.

Think about it. Would you try to half-ass lift it, making it potentially UNSAFE for your wife and kids to be passengers in?

I know what my answer is. What is yours?

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you I'm not wanting to cause damage or make it unsafe. Just wanted to know what I could do with what I have. I didn't want to drop the rear to match the front.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you I'm not wanting to cause damage or make it unsafe. Just wanted to know what I could do with what I have. I didn't want to drop the rear to match the front.

I didn't mean to sound condescending, but I've been there. I've gone thru 3 T-Bar equipped vehicles, and cranked everything to the max. I've also gone thru 8 front CV shafts, along with at least 6 complete (and I mean COMPLETE) front end rebuilds. My S-10 Blazer had a 3" body lift, and extra leaves in the rear packs, I could clear 265/75/16's on Vette rims easily, in the back. In the front, lets just say I got to the point where I had everything cranked so far, at full lock, I removed the front shafts altogether. I blew one apart within two weeks of installing a new rebuilt shaft.

OP
OP
Crcz71

Crcz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to make sure if it would work or not. I definitely dont want to be replacing a bunch of front end parts for no reason. Plus making it unpleasant and dangerous to drive.

SlimJim

Reaction score
I didn't take it that way. Just wanted to make sure if it would work or not. I definitely dont want to be replacing a bunch of front end parts for no reason. Plus making it unpleasant and dangerous to drive.
So is it possible to install diff drop kit with a 3" level kit. Im in the same boat, my keys are almost touching the droop stops and cv angles are pretty bad. Just looking for a solution to cv angles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy