Front diff driver axle seal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked the bearings when I first replaced the seal and they looked really good. There is no noises when Tahoe is in 4WD. Anything else I can check?

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
Clean it really well and drive it for a few miles , then recheck it . If all else fails put dye in it and use a black light to find the leak. Did you check the axle for a groove or any scaring.

OP
OP
Bigbertha78

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No grooves on the axle shaft, and I will have to replace the seal with a better quality part and go from there. Maybe when I installed the seal I might have knocked the seal too far in, and not flush.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The main thing on seals is the housing needs to be like-new condition. If the outer bore is polished up, free of any schaffing then the seal is installed with grease on both inner & outer circumferences.

I never heard of RTV being used until I saw the DIY web vids; highly doubt a pro would do that but if it stops the leak why not? RTV isn't permanent but I would use accordingly so that excess doesn't make it into the gears.

Higher quality seal and remove/ install practice may or may not improve results. On this repair, remove the old seal without disturbing the housing and clean/polish bore then the install with seal lubed well so neither surface is comprised