Front Dash Crack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lowh07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that there are two different styles of dashes... the later one being reinforced. Does the reinforced dash have cracking issues as well? The black dash in my '07 is terrible... There are large chunks missing all over the dash. The LAST thing I would want to do is replace mine, only to have it crack again shortly.

Also something I cannot seem to find - What is the part number for the reinforced dash?

BTW, I have a Dashskin sitting in the box. It covers both dash pieces. I think I'm going to send it back... The fit is good but not perfect, and it looks/seems a bit cheesy for me. Also, it has a front lip that extends past the trim pieces. If I were to glue it down, I do not think I'd be able to remove the vents/trim. The main reason I was considering a cover/overlay, is that I don't want to "fix" a defective part with another defective part.

Thanks

EDIT: Here is a link I found to the dash. I can't tell whether or not this is the reinforced dash.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-...v8-flex-engine/body-cat/instrument-panel-****

See part numbers here:
Capture.JPG

Here is a link to another thread addressing my same question...with three more part numbers.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/installing-new-dash-2008-tahoe-hybrid-62347/

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read somewhere that there are two different styles of dashes... the later one being reinforced. Does the reinforced dash have cracking issues as well? The black dash in my '07 is terrible... There are large chunks missing all over the dash. The LAST thing I would want to do is replace mine, only to have it crack again shortly.

Also something I cannot seem to find - What is the part number for the reinforced dash?

BTW, I have a Dashskin sitting in the box. It covers both dash pieces. I think I'm going to send it back... The fit is good but not perfect, and it looks/seems a bit cheesy for me. Also, it has a front lip that extends past the trim pieces. If I were to glue it down, I do not think I'd be able to remove the vents/trim. The main reason I was considering a cover/overlay, is that I don't want to "fix" a defective part with another defective part.

Thanks

EDIT: Here is a link I found to the dash. I can't tell whether or not this is the reinforced dash.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-...v8-flex-engine/body-cat/instrument-panel-****

See part numbers here:
View attachment 188682

Here is a link to another thread addressing my same question...with three more part numbers.
https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/installing-new-dash-2008-tahoe-hybrid-62347/

View attachment 188683

I don't think GM would produce reinforced and unreinforced versions of the same dash. Why maintain tooling for the old crappy, defective dash design (unless they are still getting rid of old stock)? Just order a new dash at your dealership and request a refund if the dash you receive is unimproved.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think GM would produce reinforced and unreinforced versions of the same dash. Why maintain tooling for the old crappy, defective dash design (unless they are still getting rid of old stock)? Just order a new dash at your dealership and request a refund if the dash you receive is unimproved.
same question applies as to why they would wait 7 years to retool? when they new good and well they were defective.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would they have to retool? Prob just a change in raw material used or something added to material to make it stronger or avretrofit to existing tooling.... i dont know.... just hope my 13 doesn’t do it...

techbiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would they have to retool? Prob just a change in raw material used or something added to material to make it stronger or avretrofit to existing tooling.... i dont know.... just hope my 13 doesn’t do it...

I've read the revised dash has additional gussets and uses different materials to reduce the chance of cracking. Might just be a rumor though.

My late 2011 (1 week before 2012) is cracking, but it's not too bad. Frankly, my Tahoe still has many interior issues that are much more important.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's injection molding into a dye, with some tweaks to the dye it would resolve most of the problems, I was thinking the same thing why not change or add a component to the plastic but then I thought maybe it might change the appearance as well because you cant make it only go the bottom or middle etc. then it has to be safety tested all over again, yada yada, that link above shows what they changed in the dye versus a old design.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at any rate it still sucks, I used to go out to the junk yards and pull trans am and Camaro dash's out and sell them on ebay I got it down to about 15 minutes after doing a few, putting them back in is a different story, takes longer because you had to route all the wires back to where they are supposed to go and knobs and buttons and etc, these newer cars are more like components that come out whole and all you have to do is plug them back in just have to be careful to not break all the little trim pieces in the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu