Front brake rotor/ pad suggestion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Northeast16SS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ceramic pads stop better and are also harder on rotors. That's why PPVs come with them from the factory.

I don't believe that is true. Ceramics are built to last longer and generate less dust & noise. This is the trade-off for stopping power. Anything that is metallic/semi metallic is going to generate more stopping while creating more noise and dust. You can't have both.

W8TVI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using Carquest Wearever Platinum Professional ceramic brake pads on my 2000 Yukon XL, and I haven't had any problem with them, and they seem to stop pretty good.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
x3 on the Powerstop on our 08 AWD Nali. Bosch quietcast ceramic pads and no more build up of brake pad material (warping) because the slots wipes the surface clean ea rotation and x drill keeps them cool.

Not sure on everyone else’s but ours were anodized.

Mine isn't a PPV but I went with the Powerstop kit front and rear on my 2013 Yukon. This was the 3rd vehicle I've installed Powerstop brakes and I've had great experiences with all of them. View attachment 202869

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive installed powerstop pads and rotors on 3 of my vehicles so far and love them. my neighbor also now has them on 2 pf his vehicles and loves them. i also installed a set on his brothers car and now he wants me to do a set on his other vehicle. ive also heard nothing but good things about the r1 stuff but have never used it.

jmm121783

Searching for the next sunset...
Reaction score
Powerstop did screw up the HHR SS set the offered, didn't have the correct pads or pins for the stock Brembo's. I have to say though, even those they messed up twice, they provided me with a ENTIRE new set of front rotors and bads for my issues.

I am really looking for a brake upgrade though, I feel like our brakes are so small for how large our trucks are. There has to be some rotor, caliper combo we can steal from one of the other platforms, maybe corvette or camaro?? Get some 14" brembos?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powerstop did screw up the HHR SS set the offered, didn't have the correct pads or pins for the stock Brembo's. I have to say though, even those they messed up twice, they provided me with a ENTIRE new set of front rotors and bads for my issues.

I am really looking for a brake upgrade though, I feel like our brakes are so small for how large our trucks are. There has to be some rotor, caliper combo we can steal from one of the other platforms, maybe corvette or camaro?? Get some 14" brembos?

Our rotors are 14".
If you want BIG, you want some 16" rotors from Wilwood or Brembo. But, they're going to cost quite a bit more than the Powerstop.
If you are planning on getting new brakes, a good upgrade would be some stainless lines and flush you brake system and add fresh new fluids.

jmm121783

Reaction score
Our rotors are 14".
If you want BIG, you want some 16" rotors from Wilwood or Brembo. But, they're going to cost quite a bit more than the Powerstop.
If you are planning on getting new brakes, a good upgrade would be some stainless lines and flush you brake system and add fresh new fluids.

Ok I can do that for sure, definitely nothing like the Brembos on such a small car like a HHR. The stainless steel lines really help with the squishy pedal feeling, I have them on my HHR and it made a fairly big difference. Yea the true "big brake" kits are always VERY expensive that is why I was looking for some sort of retro-fit from a current, high production GM car like the camaro or something.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I can do that for sure, definitely nothing like the Brembos on such a small car like a HHR. The stainless steel lines really help with the squishy pedal feeling, I have them on my HHR and it made a fairly big difference. Yea the true "big brake" kits are always VERY expensive that is why I was looking for some sort of retro-fit from a current, high production GM car like the camaro or something.

I believe Camaro are 5 lug. But, I gotcha. One brand of rotors that are very nice and worth the $$$$ are EBC, very nice and they have a few different styles.
I think those along with some matched pads and some ss lines would be a very nice brake system.

jmm121783

Reaction score
Ya....again, this isnt my first rodeo or forte into the braking world. I know the good brands and have used both EBC, Powerstop, Power Slot, R1Concepts, Brembo, etc..... For example on my Regal GS for the Fbody brakes were a 1" upgrade and you got dual pistons instead of one bigger piston in the rotors. I was thinking that maybe there is a chance we could do some sort of big brake upgrade from another platform but you just hit the nail on the head....5 lug vs 6 lug....Damnnnn

I guess the question now, is there an HD Pickup or even Commercial 6 lug application with bigger brakes?? (looked for a "thinking" or "pondering" emoji and there are just too damn many different stupid faces to choose thru, guess I conveyed my thoughts through typing instead of whack smilies

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha
There was someone who made brackets to adapt ZO6 brakes on our rides, not sure if he's still doing though. Let me go look, I'll be back.

edit: Ok, I'm back. I believe this fella has the brake upgrade info. He makes the brackets and knows where to find the rest. [email protected]

HD or commercial. Hmm, not that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh