Front brake pads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally needing a set of brake pads for the front of my SSV. Have on order a set of NAPA ultra premium rotors.

Started ordering a set of Hawk pads but.... apparently they don’t make them for the SSV/PPV’s.

Not a fan of Wagner or box store pads. Anyone have any suggestions?

2014 Tahoe SSV

Thanks

Paul
5trmtpr

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally needing a set of brake pads for the front of my SSV. Have on order a set of NAPA ultra premium rotors.

Started ordering a set of Hawk pads but.... apparently they don’t make them for the SSV/PPV’s.

Not a fan of Wagner or box store pads. Anyone have any suggestions?

2014 Tahoe SSV

Thanks

Paul
5trmtpr

AFAIK, the actual fitment between PPV/SSV and "regular" are all the same. For the longest, I thought the PPV/SSV had different hard parts like larger diameter rotors, etc. After deeper reading, it looks like the only difference is the composition and maybe even thickness of the pad material. It's better suited for high speed braking. Some suspect that the material is also designed to not ever squeal to aid in covert surveillance. But, this may be achieved with a softer compound and in favor of pad life.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just get some premium ceramic pads you'll never be happier unless you spend 4k+ for a big brake kit.
fitment is the same, the ppv pads are not ceramic they are a form of semi-metallic they wont last as long as ceramic pads will.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have religiously used Hawk pads on all my cars n trucks.

The problem is I do NOT see Hawk pads for the SSV Fronts or evening for the PPV’s.

I did put a set of Hawks on the rear of this thing when I bought it as it was disclosed it needed rear pads.

Ceramic pads I do like, any suggestions on Brands?

Paul
5trmtpr

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have religiously used Hawk pads on all my cars n trucks.

The problem is I do NOT see Hawk pads for the SSV Fronts or evening for the PPV’s.

I did put a set of Hawks on the rear of this thing when I bought it as it was disclosed it needed rear pads.

Ceramic pads I do like, any suggestions on Brands?

Paul
5trmtpr

Probably because Hawk doesn't make a pad that will meet the standards for the OEM PPV/SSV pads. Their GMT900 pads will physically fit and work fine as a brake pad, they just won't meet the PPV requirements, whatever those are. It's too small of a market that's already served by plenty other pad manufacturers to be worth them throwing their hat into the ring. Hawk is an aftermarket supplier to the performance market, not to OEM equipment for special factory vehicle packages. You can get whatever Hawk pads you want for a GMT900 vehicle and they'll work fine. Just don't expect them to be 100% squeal-free, but they'll probably last a little longer and dust less than the OEM-spec'ed pads.

OP
OP
5strmtrp

5strmtrp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll look up the GMT 900’s then, wasn’t sure if they would fit any differently.

Thanks

PPV12HOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put PowerStop z37 pads on my PPV... they claim to be a ceramic and carbon fiber mix specific to PPV's... I haven't had an issue with them... and they definitely stop on a dime and provide change...

ChrisSRT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am running PowerStop ceramic pads and slotted rotors on the front of mine, no issues.

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I first ran the AC Delco PPV semi-met pads......great stopping, but noisy AF - took them off after 2000 miles

I'm currently running my favorite pad I have run on all of GM trucks; EBC YellowStuff pads. Superior stopping, only downside is the brake dust. But its worth it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu