Front Bose Door Speaker Amp Location and Wiring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kaeden

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

So I've got an interesting problem. A couple months ago a friend of mine asked to use the Tahoe's factory cigarette lighter, and thinking nothing of it, I allowed them to use it. When they put it back in the socket however, I believe it got stuck in, ultimately overheating and very ultimately melting pretty well the entire "Cigarette Lighter" circuit. For those of you that know anything about the wiring system on these, there's actually A LOT of things powered by the "Cigarette Lighter" circuit. For example, OBD2 Port, Front Door Speakers, and something else which I can't remember.

Now here's the problem. I'm not super interested in either paying someone or personally running that whole circuit over again, so I've been slowly fixing the individual issues one by one. I managed to splice the OBD2 power wire from the Cigarette Lighter circuit to another (can't remember which one off the top of my head; this is more or less temporary). However, my front door speakers still do not work. I can stick a fuse in the Cigarette Lighter circuit spot and it stays for about 2 seconds and in those two seconds you can hear the front door speakers (and presumably the tweeters on the pillars) come on, which is what confirms for me that this issue has everything to do with the Cigarette Lighter circuit.

Now my question is this. Are the front door speakers and tweeters powered by the same amp as the rear speakers? If so, why is it that only the front speakers aren't working? If they are powered by their own amp, where would this amp be located? I assume I'd then be able to just run a new power wire to it and that "should" fix it, correct? Assuming they're somehow powered off the Cigarette Lighter circuit.

Sorry for all the reading guys, just trying to be as detailed as possible to prevent any further questions. Not having front speakers is really starting to get old and I'm sure my rear speakers aren't liking being cranked up to twice the volume as normal to compensate for the lack of front speakers.

ANY Help appreciated guys! Thanks again!

chrmbly

Reaction score
I don't know the answer to all your questions, but all the speakers are routed through the stock amp (in my case Bose in a 2005 Tahoe LT) which is under the center console. It seems odd that the cigarette lighter would be involved to me. Sounds like you maybe have a short somewhere since all those cables are probably bundled together? Maybe check some of the harnesses coming down from the headunit into the console.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts