Front axle noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nosole

Reaction score
On my 2004 Suburban 1500 @ 161k mi....

Yesterday, I started to notice a sound coming from, what I think is, the front axle. It sounds and feels like a grinding or scraping. I only hear it inside the cabin (can't hear it when I stick my head out the window while driving) and I can feel it in my feet. It's very mild (you probably couldn't tell if you weren't trying to hear it) when driving straight or turning to the right, but the intensity increases whenever I turn left. When I crawl under, I can't see any visible signs of scraping or damage anywhere.

I already know the front axel is leaking and see that the biggest culprit is on the right/pass side where the axle meets the CV joint. The left/driver side doesn't show much sign of leaking. I was already planning to replace the seals and am game for a full service anyway, so I'm just trying to decided how "full" that service needs to be.

Priority goes to diagnosing and correcting the grinding noise. I have a couple ideas what it might be, but don't want to bias any of your responses based on my non professional opinion. Secondarily, while I have everything apart, I'd also like to identify, order, and replace other parts that are due to fail as mileage continues to creep north.

thx!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
On my 2004 Suburban 1500 @ 161k mi....

Yesterday, I started to notice a sound coming from, what I think is, the front axle. It sounds and feels like a grinding or scraping. I only hear it inside the cabin (can't hear it when I stick my head out the window while driving) and I can feel it in my feet. It's very mild (you probably couldn't tell if you weren't trying to hear it) when driving straight or turning to the right, but the intensity increases whenever I turn left. When I crawl under, I can't see any visible signs of scraping or damage anywhere.

I already know the front axel is leaking and see that the biggest culprit is on the right/pass side where the axle meets the CV joint. The left/driver side doesn't show much sign of leaking. I was already planning to replace the seals and am game for a full service anyway, so I'm just trying to decided how "full" that service needs to be.

Priority goes to diagnosing and correcting the grinding noise. I have a couple ideas what it might be, but don't want to bias any of your responses based on my non professional opinion. Secondarily, while I have everything apart, I'd also like to identify, order, and replace other parts that are due to fail as mileage continues to creep north.

thx!

The most common would be the hub. Probably the right one if it's getting louder turning left, but doing them in pairs is ideal. Timken is the most highly recommended brand.

You can put the truck up in the air and check for play in the wheel 12-6. Also, spinning it gently and really listening, you can usually detect some of the grinding you're hearing.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
When you say axle is leaking, axle or diff? Meh. Just check the fluid in the diff anyways. Cheap peace of mind.

CV axle will typically only only make noise when loaded and put at an angle. E. G. Accelerating through a turn

Can check hub with a stethoscope spinning the wheel in air. Or just grab the spindle. You'll feel some grittyness to it.

Also check clearance between backing plate and rotor. If you have the nnbs brake upgrade, make sure there's enough clearance inside the wheel, including any wheel weights

OP
OP
N

nosole

Reaction score
Yeah, front diff is leaking.

The sound is definitely coming from the right side and what sounds like grinding inside the cab, if I open the pass window and drive near a wall/hill where the sound can reflect off, it sounds almost like soda can with change in it. That’s not the most accurate description, but it’s all I can think of.

CVs appear to be fine. Boots are fully intact and I can’t feel any play. I had to swap out the CVs on my BMW (which was a MFer by the way) so I’m at least familiar with CVs. I haven’t ruled anything out yet, but I’m leaning toward hub and/or bearing.

We shall see though. I’ll put it in the air and listen closely.

No brake upgrade so it’s unlikely that it’s a clearance issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon