Front AC issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front blower motor only works in the 3rd position, low, the position before high and high are dead. Is that the resistor pack and the relay or is the dash unit going south??

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced the entire dash unit last summer. I ordered a new wire harness plug with wire splice set up. I will try that first. Its the only thing in the last 2 years that I havent replaced.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey sunlit, how come it wouldn't be the resistor? I thought that it was common when the speeds start failing to replace the resistor. At least that's what I did when a couple of my speeds failed.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
only three speed out of a total of 4 are decided by the resistor. if he has one "varied" speed and is missing two others and no high speed it is like the wires or contacts in the switch are fualty. when put on high a relay bypasses the resistor and blower draws straight from the main power buss under the hood. it could be the resistor for two varied speed and a high speed circuit failure at the same time. but based on discussions here and elsewhere. both at same time is more rare. at the same time a defective fan switch can make the resistor block and high speed circuit and a/c compressor control all look bad at the same time depending how the switch fails. I just replaced mine because the switch was intermittently disabling compressor control when it should not have and vice versa. upon disassembling the old one I found significant physical wear on the contacts and these switches are lubed internally. all is good now and no electrical damage to wire harness from old one.

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had wire damage when I replaced the dash unit. I cleaned the contacts and such but I figure after going through the mental wire picture that you just posted that odds are its the wiring. If not then its the switch but either way I need to fix the wiring first.

taylorjm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhh, I gotcha. So because he had the high, plus another speed, he either has a resistor and a relay gone bad at the same time, or a switch, and chances are greater that it was just a switch.

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, relay controls MAX fan speed, resistor controls the others. I lost ALL speeds and then occassionally have the second speed but no others.

OP
OP
A

atis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, I dont get it! I replaced the fan speed switch in the dash unit, replaced the wiring harness and still have no fan control up front. Everything else in the dash unit works fine. Any suggestions? I have no fan speeds.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
assuming you did not blow out fuses in the process or damage the fan some how, the only explanation is something went wrong with the wiring. with your a/c button depressed in does it turn on and off when your turn fan switch on and off? just to clarify.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bryndan99