From one problem to the next.. Broken ring gear teeth.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MattysHoe95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After recently replacing the whole A/C system I now have a another new project. I was driving home one morning and started hearing a sledge hammer noise towards the back. I babied the truck home at low speed. It is loud during acceleration but quiets to almost nothing during deceleration. Turns out 4 teeth broke off the ring gear. Someone had it apart before based on all the rtv with the diff cover gasket. The pinion nut and the Posi cap bolts were way too easy to break loose with a short breaker bar. Full on rebuild time except for replacing the posi. that seems to be ok.

186466520_1472175396459623_4072799200108637618_n.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Good luck and please post pics of the process, ok? Where are you getting the gears?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After recently replacing the whole A/C system I now have a another new project. I was driving home one morning and started hearing a sledge hammer noise towards the back. I babied the truck home at low speed. It is loud during acceleration but quiets to almost nothing during deceleration. Turns out 4 teeth broke off the ring gear. Someone had it apart before based on all the rtv with the diff cover gasket. The pinion nut and the Posi cap bolts were way too easy to break loose with a short breaker bar. Full on rebuild time except for replacing the posi. that seems to be ok.

View attachment 279809
I have never rebuilt a diff but have heard good things about Yukon Gear for the parts.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
In my shops we used Yukon Gear and had great success but when I do my gears from 3.42 to 3.73, they will be Eaton Detroit. They are USA made.

The Yukon Gears come from two sources: China and India

OP
OP
MattysHoe95

MattysHoe95

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I have ordered the parts I need and Now it is a waiting game. Using USA standard gear.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I remember right, Yukon Gear and USA Standard Gear are in cahoots. The gear sets also come from China or India.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Unfortunately when your on a tight budget and have to cut down on cost as much as possible I had to go with those.

That is why I said what I said earlier. I used Yukon Gear sets in my shops with great results. You should have no problems with the gears. I am just an old grouchy Viet Vet that buys USA made whenever I can. There are always options. By the way, make sure you replace the axle seals and the axle bearings while you are in there. Bits of metal have floated in the fluid and gotten in the bearings.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately when your on a tight budget and have to cut down on cost as much as possible I had to go with those.
the only caveat to that in my book is you may end up having to do it again in the future, which is fine if money was the issue at the time it just sucks when it happens, I learned the hard way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2