Fresh oil change and catch can info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck just turned 30,000 miles and all I can say is its a great ride. I purchased it with about 26,000 miles and this is my 2nd oil change. I didn't trust the dealer telling me it was freshly changed after I purchased, so I changed it with fresh M1, WIX filter and added a JLT catch can. I changed oil again today after I added a few oz of Marvel Mystery oil into the crankcase for a few days. The oil was black as night and my catch can had about 2 oz of oil in it. I switched to Royal Purple 030W today with a Baldwin oil filter. I'm not into snake oil but I swear it idles better with the RP. Big road trip this weekend, we'll see if there is any noticeable change with the RP or not.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my truck just turned 30,000 miles and all I can say is its a great ride. I purchased it with about 26,000 miles and this is my 2nd oil change. I didn't trust the dealer telling me it was freshly changed after I purchased, so I changed it with fresh M1, WIX filter and added a JLT catch can. I changed oil again today after I added a few oz of Marvel Mystery oil into the crankcase for a few days. The oil was black as night and my catch can had about 2 oz of oil in it. I switched to Royal Purple 030W today with a Baldwin oil filter. I'm not into snake oil but I swear it idles better with the RP. Big road trip this weekend, we'll see if there is any noticeable change with the RP or not.
My oil has been black as coal every time I've changed it, since new. I think I did first oil change at 2700 miles (time got away from me), second at 5k, and every 5k after that. Every time, black. I used Mobil 1 and wix xp filter. I added magnet drain plug around 20k I think. It's picking up less and less material each time. Last time it just had a film of slurry on it.

Which model of catch can did you get? Care to share some pics of it installed? I keep dragging my feet in that department as well:(

Also, don't forget to do the front and rear differentials, transfer case, and transmission. 30k is an excellent time

OP
OP
THarber

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JLT catch can. It was really simple. I have big fingers so squeezing the pcv clips was a little tough but other than that, took less than 20 mins.
20211006_181140.jpg20211006_181145.jpg20211006_181152.jpg

ThisIsLivin

Reaction score
I am at 176,000 miles and have been running Amsoil oil and filters since my free oil changes from the dealer ran out. I put a catch can in about 100k ago. I run my oil 10k between changes. I only get about a tablespoon of condensate every 10k. My oil is getting pretty dark, but I don't see any change in oil pressure from the old to the new.

MobileHomie

Reaction score
What engines are we working on? What is the catch can fixing?
Sorry, noob here trying to catch up.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the LT series in this case...the egr systems accumulate oiled condensation and blow by, returning it to the intake for emissions. now with direct injection, it is even more apparent that a catch can is needed as the mixed fuel/air doesnt aid in keeping the valves clean. the oil residue builds up on the intake side.

MobileHomie

Reaction score
the LT series in this case...the egr systems accumulate oiled condensation and blow by, returning it to the intake for emissions. now with direct injection, it is even more apparent that a catch can is needed as the mixed fuel/air doesnt aid in keeping the valves clean. the oil residue builds up on the intake side.
Thank you.
Edit: Summit thanks you also.

Last edited:

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Summit should become my sponsor...i have spent several bucks with them this year alone..let alone what i do annually to any and all vehicles i purchase.

20180818_184933-2.jpgIMG_04321.jpg20170915_103957 (1).jpg2017 Suburban 2.5-1.5-285-55-22.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17