Fox 2.0 vs Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ironhead

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
has anyone ran both shocks on a z71 tahoe?

my 03 z71 tahoe shocks are oem and long gone, looking to replace and may as well upgrade. I'm a big fan of Fox shocks and run them on my TJ as well as mountain bikes, but i have zero experience with them under a heavier platform. on the other end, I am not a fan of the stiffness of 5100's for small on-road bumps, but only have experience with them on a much lighter jeep TJ platform.

this truck is a tow vehicle/basecamp with a RTT. the only lift I will be doing is turning the keys to raise the front end about an inch. Only other suspension mods in mind are air bags for the rear coils to aid in towing. its killing me to keep this at stock height with stock sized tires, but maximum towing and on road comfort are the main goals.

5280Racer

Reaction score
FOX IFP shocks are way better then Bilsteins.. I originally had some Bilsteins coilers on my ZO6 and they were garbage.. Went to Penske 9700's and were killer.. brother has some Bilstein coilers on his TJ crawler and hates them.. We both Use fox 2.5 16" travel coilers on our rigs and love them.. had Bilsteins on my Dodge diesel with throne springs way better then stock and they were horrible went to Fox valved 2.0's and it was killer awesome... So my vote with many experiences on different platforms is FOX.. using them on my wife lift for her 04 Z71 as well..

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Yes fox 2.0 are a much better shock compared to the 5100s. Even the 5160s are a tad better but still a 5100 with resi.

jough

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Fox 2.0s are only available in 0 to +1" for front & rear. If you have lifted the front 2", then supposedly they won't work.

By the way, I replaced my factory red Bilstein shocks (with over 160K miles on them) with 5100s. The factory shocks were still good, except for some rust. 5100s are much better.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
~~Bringing this thread back from the dead ~~

I got a 15 Suburban with 5100 Bilstein all the way around, I am curious about if putting fox 2.0 would make the ride over bad roads more CONFORMABLE, better at absorbing bumps, snake lines, pot holes, etc...

baljitsinghit424

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
~~Bringing this thread back from the dead ~~

I got a 15 Suburban with 5100 Bilstein all the way around, I am curious about if putting fox 2.0 would make the ride over bad roads more CONFORMABLE, better at absorbing bumps, snake lines, pot holes, etc...
I have 2016 yukon xl thinking about to Install5100 at rear. Is it worth to replace with air shocks?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans