Found a 2009 Tahoe with the 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments so far. So here’s my issue. I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ that has everything the 09 has truck has minus the 6.2 liter and blind side alert. It needs a lot of work. I think rear end is going out. All shocks are bad. It has 250k on it. Trans (4 speed) only about 70k. Original 5.3 liter. No check engines light but it does seem sluggish. Its been hit in the front a couple different times so it’s not lined up properly. Driver side power step doesn’t work. What would you guys do? I’m trying to decide if I should spend the money on my current one or part ways and get this rare gem. Give me honest opinions or any personal experience if you have dealt with a similar situation.

I'm generally of mind to keep what you have if you like it. However, how bad is the frame from the prior accidents? The 6-speed and Bluetooth and the 6.2 motor though are going to make that Tahoe seem like a completely different vehicle. Either way, they're both going to need continuous little work projects to keep in top form. If in your boots, the 6.2.

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On the plus side, the '09 will have the L9H, so no AFM issues.

On the down side, the 6.2 is so much fun to drive, you don't know if was babied or beaten. If it was beaten, 168k might be close to end of life.

Make sure you have it checked out by a mechanic. Have all fluids checked/sampled. When I bought my '09 Sierra Denali, the front pinion seal was leaking, so I had them fix it before I bought it.
How many miles did your Sierra have on it when you bought it? How has it been doing for you?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles did your Sierra have on it when you bought it? How has it been doing for you?

Bought it with 70k miles in May of 2015. Have had a few issues with it - had to replace a front halfshaft, wheel hub/bearing, and the usual GM half-ton brake issues.

The thing is scary quick for a truck, and even though I have a Blackbear EFILive tuner, I'm afraid to tune it because I'd just get myself into trouble. It accelerates so fast that I've bounced it off the 100 mph speed governor many times, just trying to pass slow/inattentive drivers on the highway.

The motor is a beast, and I'm frankly glad it has AWD. That much power going to just the rear wheels would be a concern for me, especially in bad weather, and with my three teenage drivers.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments so far. So here’s my issue. I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ that has everything the 09 has truck has minus the 6.2 liter and blind side alert.
What would you guys do? I’m trying to decide if I should spend the money on my current one or part ways and get this rare gem. Give me honest opinions or any personal experience if you have dealt with a similar situation.

The 09 also has A/C perforated leather seats which are nicer than in the 07. 09 also has a beefier rear axle. I think there were only 600-700 6.2 Tahoe's made in 09, so that makes it even better.
My personal experiences with mine have been fun and I have no regrets buying it. I have replaced the entire suspension with factory parts, except I upgraded my sway bars. I also got mine Blackbear tuned which I'm still all smiles over. The torque of the 6.2 is addictive. You should go for it, only if it's in good shape and not rotted out.

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well I’m not gonna be able to get the Tahoe. The bank won’t finance anything with over 150k. This one has 168k. So no go for me. Thanks for everything guys.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I’m not gonna be able to get the Tahoe. The bank won’t finance anything with over 150k. This one has 168k. So no go for me. Thanks for everything guys.

They are out there Kenneth. If you're set on a 6.2 Tahoe look up our recent posts about spotting them and how to spot them. Even if they are not listed as 6.2s, if you scan the VINs you can find them.

1GNFC332 = 2009 2WD LTZ Tahoe 6.2

1GNFK332 = 2009 4WD LTZ Tahoe 6.2

1GNFC138 = 2008 2WD LTZ Tahoe 6.2

In those posts there's mention by me of a website that shows who owns that kind of car in your area based on the VIN. You might convince an owner to sell you theirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons