Found a 2009 Tahoe with the 6.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I was looking for another Tahoe and I happen to find a 2009 Tahoe Black with the 6.2. It has 168k on it. It’s 4x4 and in excellent shape. It has the weathertech floor mats in it with the tan interior. They’re asking $12,500 What do you guys think?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good without any other details. You have a link that the guys can pick apart the details with pictures? That would be a big help. They can see the little things that might stick out.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this one on cars.com and I would go for it! The 6.2 Tahoe is hard to find, took me around 2 years to get mine. Just make sure if you buy it, check the rear shocks and make sure the air bladders aren't shot, and make sure the front struts aren't leaking. It's about a 2k repair in just new parts. And don't be alarmed at piston slap when it's cold, most of the 6.2 do it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I was looking for another Tahoe and I happen to find a 2009 Tahoe Black with the 6.2. It has 168k on it. It’s 4x4 and in excellent shape. It has the weathertech floor mats in it with the tan interior. They’re asking $12,500 What do you guys think?

It's going to be a great truck but don't expect to buy it and not need anything at that mileage and being ten years old. Set aside $5-6K for an overhaul of sorts. Not necessarily the engine or trans, but lines, brakes, hoses, interior trim, etc.

OP
OP
K

kdubb30

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments so far. So here’s my issue. I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ that has everything the 09 has truck has minus the 6.2 liter and blind side alert. It needs a lot of work. I think rear end is going out. All shocks are bad. It has 250k on it. Trans (4 speed) only about 70k. Original 5.3 liter. No check engines light but it does seem sluggish. Its been hit in the front a couple different times so it’s not lined up properly. Driver side power step doesn’t work. What would you guys do? I’m trying to decide if I should spend the money on my current one or part ways and get this rare gem. Give me honest opinions or any personal experience if you have dealt with a similar situation.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a very personal decision and depends on your finances and tolerance for cost & hassle of repairs (to keep the current ride) or cost to replace (the new ride).

Frankly, unless you're a miracle worker, your current ride is close to the end of its useful life given the mileage, collisions and other issues. I'd get out of it now rather than putting a lot of money into. But you are already leaning that way. :)

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the plus side, the '09 will have the L9H, so no AFM issues.

On the down side, the 6.2 is so much fun to drive, you don't know if was babied or beaten. If it was beaten, 168k might be close to end of life.

Make sure you have it checked out by a mechanic. Have all fluids checked/sampled. When I bought my '09 Sierra Denali, the front pinion seal was leaking, so I had them fix it before I bought it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne