Found a 12.1 android head unit that incorporates HVAC factory system controls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJ351

Reaction score
Got a chance to make some headway and remove the stock stereo/AC controls and take a look inside...

So I guess the 2012-1014 radios are different in that I needed a different antenna adapter than the one provided, and a different Rear Entertainment PAC cable from Amazon.

The correct part #s for the 2012-2014 are:

Antenna adapter: Metra 40-EU10 (Picked up at Bestbuy)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000329HEK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear Entertainment cable: PAC GMRDV2 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHU9WEA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also ordered a USB 2.0 A Male to USB B Mini 5 Pin Female Adapter Converter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015PGGUWA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
For the mini that came off the old radio (Pictured below)

Mini male USB B unplugged from radio:

miniusb.jpg

Adapter from Amazon (coming tomorrow):

adapter.jpg

Difference between antenna adapter provided by Phoenix (larger) and what the back of stock stereo had (for my 2013):

large adapter.jpg

And corrected antenna adapter (Metra 40-EU10) sourced from Bestbuy:

corrected.jpg

connected.jpg

Other than that, since I have navigation my stock GPS cable should work with it.

Will update more this weekend...

Last edited:

JJ351

Reaction score
Good luck... After watching all these videos on youtube, I'm very concerned about it... Especially this video...

I laughed when he was complaining about the reflection off the screen being awkward with friends in the passenger seat.
Did they solve for XM radio on the units?

Yeah, in the form that XM has an Android app

Last edited:

JigglesZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@JJ351

Do you have an update on this?

Also my apologies I have a 2007 so I didn't realize there were different adapters for the rear entertainment system from PAC.

but happy you acknowledged it and confirmed it for the newer obs folks

I’m curious about the turn signal noises and also curious about the hvac coming on along with heated seats with remote start.

let us know how they work if you would.

hope your liking it so far excited to get mine soon.

thanks
-J

Last edited:

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like rhino radio has the option for manual ac on our trucks, but the reviews are terrible.

JJ351

Reaction score
Early impressions...

All of the complaints about it being slow with annoying turn signal noises and other nonsense don't exist with this model or software update. It's snappy, even when hard booted from a dead start.

Video is unobstructed by the interface in Youtube or Plex:

familyguy.jpg

Rear entertainment is useless. It's a literal full-screen portrait mode of the unit, reducing the actual video content (see pic). I'll keep it connected for novelty reasons only. It's obsolete tech anyway. IR headphones and drop down low res screen is replaced by tablets and bluetooth, imo.

snl.jpg

My biggest complaint is about the factory reverse cam. I cannot get it to show me anything. This link was of some help, https://phoenixautomotivellc.freshd...les/36000180870-px6-backup-camera-not-working in that I can enable interface 8836, which means it went from displaying "no signal" text to just black. It might be some kind of codec issue.

@JigglesZ71 Heated seats and AC do not come on until you put the key in, in my limited experience.

Number 1 priority will be the reverse cam. Bluetooth radio and phone call performance is excellent. Radio is competent, equalizer, bose options, it's all there.

One thing I'll need to do is set my phone to enable hotspot tethering via bluetooth presence

Will update after more investigation. Needing a new reverse cam might be a deal breaker.

Last edited:

JigglesZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Early impressions...

All of the complaints about it being slow with annoying turn signal noises and other nonsense don't exist with this model or software update. It's snappy, even when hard booted from a dead start.

Video is unobstructed by the interface in Youtube or Plex:

View attachment 239534

Rear entertainment is useless. It's a literal full-screen portrait mode of the unit, reducing the actual video content (see pic). I'll keep it connected for novelty reasons only. It's obsolete tech anyway. IR headphones and drop down low res screen is replaced by tablets and bluetooth, imo.

View attachment 239533

My biggest complaint is about the factory reverse cam. I cannot get it to show me anything. This link was of some help, https://phoenixautomotivellc.freshd...les/36000180870-px6-backup-camera-not-working in that I can enable interface 8836, which means it went from displaying "no signal" text to just black. It might be some kind of codec issue.

@JigglesZ71 Heated seats and AC do not come on until you put the key in, in my limited experience.

Will update after more investigation. Needing a new reverse cam might be a deal breaker.

@JJ351

Thank you sir for the update!

Sucks about the rear screen.....

On my 07 Yukon when using the remote start if its cold out the heat will come on along with the heated seats and if its hot enough outside the ac will blow until i put the key in the ignition and the hvac controls come on.

Hoping to keep this feature..

also whats up with the turn signals and door chimes are you getting sound with them still?

thank you
-J

JJ351

Reaction score
@JJ351

also whats up with the turn signals and door chimes are you getting sound with them still?

thank you
-J

Nope, no extra noise through the speakers for anything.

In other news, they shipped the wrong backup cam harness for 12-14 Tahoe. It's Metra model # backupcam-2, whereas they appear to have shipped backupcam-1.

I had to order through amazon, will update when it arrives.

JJ351

Reaction score
Ok, the cable came and I got the factory backup cam operational. And I had to re-disable interface 8836 to make it work.

backup.jpg

And that's it! It's a keeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent

Latest posts