Fosscore's 2013 Suburban LTZ Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A customer wants me to try the same thing for an Explorer. They have similar issues, but with the door panel armrest. How exactly did you utilize the spreader? Also--maybe try some heat from a hair dryer on the area where the zip ties were holding. That might smooth the indents out a little bit more. Came out excellent. Good job :waytogo:.

@Tonyrodz

Looking at the picture, you can see where I peeled the two parts back to reveal the inside. You really only have the width of that piece of foam minus a bit. I did not take photo of the cut up pieces, but I measured the width and height and dry fit to make sure the lips would close properly. That was just my best attempt at making it a bit more stiff once adding the foam. Because that BS plastic piece is tragically thin and brittle.

I watched one video, where the guy took apart the shrapnel and epoxied it all back together. I gave up before he finished as it wasn't worth the time to put this stuff back together. Once it is broken, IMO, it needs another objective to fix it, like the one I tried seems to be the trick.

Good luck man!

BgdH9U19QxSe5kjZ5ovzWQ.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
@Tonyrodz

Looking at the picture, you can see where I peeled the two parts back to reveal the inside. You really only have the width of that piece of foam minus a bit. I did not take photo of the cut up pieces, but I measured the width and height and dry fit to make sure the lips would close properly. That was just my best attempt at making it a bit more stiff once adding the foam. Because that BS plastic piece is tragically thin and brittle.

I watched one video, where the guy took apart the shrapnel and epoxied it all back together. I gave up before he finished as it wasn't worth the time to put this stuff back together. Once it is broken, IMO, it needs another objective to fix it, like the one I tried seems to be the trick.

Good luck man!

View attachment 233884
Thx for the heads up. I'm gonna see how it goes with his.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The driver’s side exterior door handle has been replaced. I hate those damn plastic, crappy handles and the tight, blind, sharp edges and no visual to work with.

Managed to drop the bolts inside the door a couple of times, get the lock rod stuck on the inside of the door handle cable, only to realize once it was bolted up and had to disassemble, broke a piece of plastic near the interior door pull cable retaining ring and then and then and then....

grrr made an easy project into a challenge mainly from frustration. Grrr

It’s fixed for now, so taking the kids fishing tomorrow with some friends overnight in the Keys. Going to hit those Dock Demon rods off the docks.

Yeah a cold front is rolling through and it is going to be near 80 high and 70 low.. brrr might need a hoodie over my boardies tomorrow night with those north winds!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The driver’s side exterior door handle has been replaced. I hate those damn plastic, crappy handles and the tight, blind, sharp edges and no visual to work with.

Managed to drop the bolts inside the door a couple of times, get the lock rod stuck on the inside of the door handle cable, only to realize once it was bolted up and had to disassemble, broke a piece of plastic near the interior door pull cable retaining ring and then and then and then....

grrr made an easy project into a challenge mainly from frustration. Grrr

It’s fixed for now, so taking the kids fishing tomorrow with some friends overnight in the Keys. Going to hit those Dock Demon rods off the docks.

Yeah a cold front is rolling through and it is going to be near 80 high and 70 low.. brrr might need a hoodie over my boardies tomorrow night with those north winds!
Definitely understand the frustration when a fix / project goes that way. Sometimes I just walk away from it for the day (if I can) so I don’t destroy anything in anger, or idiocy. Lol. Glad you got it done!

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely understand the frustration when a fix / project goes that way. Sometimes I just walk away from it for the day (if I can) so I don’t destroy anything in anger, or idiocy. Lol. Glad you got it done!

Thx man. I did both - anger and idiocy lol. And I had no choice as the old handle insert had popped out so the new handle had to work. Especially with short road trip tomorrow.

Job is completed, but breaking the small bit of plastic pissed me off!!

Fuzzy because dum dum got frustrated and didn’t release the cable in the first place and then hunting for the dropped screw and pushed the panel too far then pop... the little bit broke off.

So I drilled a tiny hole and used a zip tie to hold that black spring clip tight so that the cable with the metal bit on the end wouldn’t jump out of where it slots in, thus making the interior door handle useless if it did.

I could just hear the wife calling me to say the door handle broke and she couldn’t open the door. Lol grrr

131BF3CD-425B-4295-8169-7DA48D67E912.jpeg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a body man on youtube, Vehcor, and he has some videos rebuilding damaged GMT900s. Anyhow, he gets those handles off by applying a little heat first, not too much to melt the plastic, just enough to free up the "loc-tite".

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have never seen this before LOL

Yeah bad week of the typical NNBS failures.

Interior handle, exterior handle and found another dash crack.

Butttt, the ultimate road trip truck was perfect for the overnight run to the Keys to fish with the kids.

So comfortable and smooth. Near 20mpg.

Gave it a good wash this morning along with the NBS and busted out the pressure washer on the tire blooms again. Looks a bit better , but not perfect.

So 2 clean trucks... for now! Lol

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a body man on youtube, Vehcor, and he has some videos rebuilding damaged GMT900s. Anyhow, he gets those handles off by applying a little heat first, not too much to melt the plastic, just enough to free up the "loc-tite".

Cool. Will have to look up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64