Fosscore's 2013 Suburban LTZ Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The body shop should take before and after pics, the insurance adjuster will have pics and you have pics documented here as well so it should never be an issue for a future buyer. IIRC, there is a "diminished value" clause for an insurance claim as well that not many people know about. Even though you have the cause, severity and repair of the damage documented, it's still a "stain" on the history and some buyers will use that to the fullest extent to detract from the value. You should suffer NO losses when someone else is at fault.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The body shop should take before and after pics, the insurance adjuster will have pics and you have pics documented here as well so it should never be an issue for a future buyer. IIRC, there is a "diminished value" clause for an insurance claim as well that not many people know about. Even though you have the cause, severity and repair of the damage documented, it's still a "stain" on the history and some buyers will use that to the fullest extent to detract from the value. You should suffer NO losses when someone else is at fault.

Good info. It's why I don't want to suffer to just deal with the dents, otherwise I would have the dent shop pop them out. The condition of the vehicle will speak for itself whenever that day comes.

Like my dad always says, everything is for sale and it's only worth what a buyer will pay for it. They can like it or take a walk, but we aren't on that road right now. Fixing it for the wife and myself so it is back to the way it should be. It is only cosmetic thankfully, just a PITA.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the body shop this morning. Not the one my insurance company recommended. I did that on purpose to hear what the guy had to say.

3 stage paint, remove door handles, moldings and head and tail lights, mask off for overspray, drop down color cards especially for the multiple coats of the 3 stages, etc....good way to start without me asking. :)

Super clean shop. About a 2 week job.

Meeting with the adjuster Thursday, then get this ball rolling hopefully next week.

Said the long body looked cleaner than the new ones he gets in. Now you know why I am asking about the little details! Lol

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to the insurance specific shop this morning. The adjuster was there for my 0800 appointment as was the manager of the shop.

The estimate was completed in 15 minutes. The shop manager and I spoke during that time. He said the right things again about removing handles, trim, rolling back the tape for cut off lines inside the doors (not painting the door jams of course) and the 3 stage paint, which always puts a spanner in the mix.

We talked about the inability of the dent removal due to the locations.

Completion time approximately at 1 week vs 2 weeks at the other place.

The main difference between the 2 shops is noted as the following:

"Modified refinish with full clear coat".

The first shop wanted to only paint the lower portion and basically blend it at the belt line of the LTZ trim rather than paint the entire passenger side of the truck. I thought this was a bit odd as the WDT is not an easy paint to work with especially when trying to get the first 2 coats to match the other panels properly.

The second shop is planning on painting the entire side as the Mercedes hit all 4 panels. Front fender, 2 doors and rear quarter panel. Still has to match the hood properly.

Second shop estimate by GEICO directly is actually $500 cheaper (not out of my pocket, but odd considering there is more paint but less billable hours). Cost is irrelevant to me here, just the outcome of the job at hand and dealing with the WDT.

What do you guys think?

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’d rather see them paint the whole side especially since it’s a tri-coat color

Agreed. Not really a second thought for me knowing how hard it would be to blend it.

Just wanted to see if I was missing anything, even though I’m trying to be thorough.

At some point, I guess I have to trust the shop will hopefully do a good job.

eand28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1dce93465784b49a90172184f2330473.jpg

I had the back half of my burb painted after I fixed the rust and should’ve had each side painted. Not worth fixing it at this point

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just getting caught up on your build thread! Love all the Australia pics! Looks like you had a wonderful Aussie trip! Bummer to hear that your flights home were a nightmare! But at least you made it safe! Sucks about the burb but it sounds like she will get dolled up at the body shop pretty good!
And on someone else’s dime too! Haha

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just getting caught up your bud thread! Love all the Australia pics! Looks like you had a wonderful Aussie trip! Bummer to hear that your flights home were a nightmare! But at least you made it safe! Sucks about the burb but it sounds like she will get dolled up at the body shop pretty good!
And on someone else’s dime too! Haha

Thx man. Was an awesome trip. Would have easily stayed in the Outback for more time.

Yeah bummer about the burb, but it will get fixed.

Just dragging my feet this week. Having a hard time letting it go and trusting that the shop will do the right thing removing and replacing parts as well as the final paint result.

But it needs to get fixed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts