Fosscore's 2006 Tahoe Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My junkyard findings, yielded 2 Escalade shifter handles that were very cheap. Both are in pretty good shape other than one of the leather handles is pretty beat up. I figured one would be a good fit and a spare for so cheap wasn't worth passing up.

Perfect plug, wire, stalk and handle. I gave them a solid APC clean and was able to use a razor blade to peel the chrome off the one handle end that was already peeling off. It is literally just chrome tape FYI, just in case I wanted to paint it.

I decided to give the NBS Escalade shifter handle swap out a go. Hold your NNBS comments. lol I know, it's different and I wanted to see how it looked with an NBS Escalade shifter and be a direct wiring harnesses swap. As well as keeping it in the NBS tradition and be a bit different. Why not? It's only an LS with some Escalade parts for show, ammaright?

The tow/haul ass light works and I am pretty happy with how it looks. The chrome end ring is not too bad and picks up a bit off the stereo trim. The stalk looks great and the leather handle has a tiny bit of wear, but after a solid cleaning and Lexol conditioning, it feels great in the hand.

Pretty happy with this little touch to the interior.

View attachment 232404 View attachment 232405
View attachment 232407 View attachment 232408 View attachment 232409
Do the NBS handles come in a different leather end cover? My interior is tan.

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
79,200 miles

I had time today to change out the inner and outer tie rods and it went pretty smooth. The nut on the outer tie rod came off pretty easily with an 18mm deep socket. The OEM part does not use a cotter pin, whereas the Moog Problem Solver does (at least on mine). A couple smacks with the BFH and it popped free.

I used an adjustable spanner on the inner tie rod, which took a little negotiating to get it to break loose. I lined up the old and new parts to get as close to the same length as possible for reinstallation.

I used this video for reference. Great video with written instruction and video clips along the way if you have never done this project before.

https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/How-to-Replace-the-Tie-Rods-on-the-00-06-Chevy-Tahoe-With-Videos

While I had the front wheels off, I freshened up the rotor hats and rotors with some some spray paint and went around and torqued all the lug nuts to 150lbs once I put everything back on.

I drove down to my buddies shop, but his alignment guy was off and he was down a man and swamped. So I drove back home. Only 4 miles return, but dammit I was hoping to complete it all today. I called a new shop even closer to my house, but the old man was in the hospital. So no alignment happened today. I will get it sorted out first thing tomorrow and hopefully he doesn't see anything else under there that I missed while it is on the rack.

bCYH9sWjQQKsqLGSxBWMhQ.jpg BtsmD%IWT%+KnGd4FBKe3A.jpg OZG4%MAeSo+FrhK5Fb6oRg.jpg xTD4uwJkSvi+cPT05SSq3w.jpg jUzVvOMbTVKwWU0uw1uOkA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link on that page! Doesn’t look too bad of a job Looks like I’m tackling tie rods myself then if you can do it! Haha.

Not hard at all this particular project. I battled the evap canister for longer due to the tight spacing. That link spells out the job perfectly.

The parts all in from Rock Auto with 5% discount were around $120 and then the alignment will cost me just under $100. That tie rod labor at the shop would likely be another $100-$200? Depending on the shop and how busy they are.

You can knock it out quickly if you are on a mission or take your time and do a few other things I listed above like the paint, looking over things, wiping up old grease, etc...

I also polished the lug nuts, cleaned out the lug holes, wiped down the insides of the wheels as well as the quick paint touch ups.

I thought about sprucing up the fender liners too, but that would have gone in a different direction altogether and I didn’t have time.

You got this Chase. The 18mm nut on the outer tie rod should come off by hand. I did not use an impact and it broke loose pretty easily. Moog recommend 50lbs of torque on installation and it had a cotter pin as well.

For the inner tie rod, I had a 12 inch adjustable on standby, but found the 15 inch had a bit more heft to shift the big nut on the end of the inner tie rod as there is thread locker on the threads and it is sort of an awkward angle for the big wrench. My boots had split so it was like an ice rink with the spanner before I wiped up the excess grease. lol. You just have to think about which way to loosen the nut when you are under the truck. Lefty loosey, but you are taking it off facing the back of the truck if you are under it. lol

Good luck man. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your shock design is different from mine. These are these style shocks that I want but I read where they wont work if you have premium ride suspension and that's what I have.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-Taho...:USPSPriorityMailLargeFlatRateBox!38340!US!-1

Sorry man, only had a tiny window, then off to school and the shop for an alignment. 100mph!!

Not sure why the shocks are different unless it has to do with the amount of drop or maybe that is a new design?

Here are all the components that were put on. It came all together from Tony Norcal SS. And I cannot remember if there were any part numbers for those shocks other than called the Belltech Street Performance shocks. Perhaps on the Belltech site?

Hope this helps a little bit for you. @BADRIDES

https://store.tbssowners.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=88

OP
OP
Fosscore

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to my buddy's shop this morning at 0720 and there were already 10 people waiting out front. Thankfully he got me right on the rack and 1 hour and $28 later, I was back on the road.

See the attached sheet for the alignment numbers. I had it almost dialed in during the reinstall. A touch out. Said he didn't see anything else out of the ordinary under there.

E935EEB3-F75B-40D3-B0E4-2DA1236937CC.jpeg

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to my buddy's shop this morning at 0720 and there were already 10 people waiting out front. Thankfully he got me right on the rack and 1 hour and $28 later, I was back on the road.

See the attached sheet for the alignment numbers. I had it almost dialed in during the reinstall. A touch out. Said he didn't see anything else out of the ordinary under there.

View attachment 233110
wow!!! $28 for an alignment is truly a buddy deal LOL I can't get out of an alignment for less than $100 :rofl:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum