For Those with Aftermarket Camshafts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suck at trying to post videos and pics... The one app that I used for this website went
to crap a while ago.. And my smart phone is old enough that it isn't smart anymore... Maybe
one of my kids can help me !!!
I'm in the same boat usually. I can post youtube videos from my phone but that's about it!

strokersace

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@Foggy have you gotten your idle figured out?

My 6.2 block should be back from the machine shop next week, and I'm still needing to get parts ordered. I've decided that I'll stay with VVT given that I'm a 4spd trans with stock converter. My 1st choice is the same Gwatney cam you have, but I'd be running Blackbear tuning. I figure I'll put headers on as well, but leave my stock 3" exhaust for the time being.

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Foggy have you gotten your idle figured out?

My 6.2 block should be back from the machine shop next week, and I'm still needing to get parts ordered. I've decided that I'll stay with VVT given that I'm a 4spd trans with stock converter. My 1st choice is the same Gwatney cam you have, but I'd be running Blackbear tuning. I figure I'll put headers on as well, but leave my stock 3" exhaust for the time being.
Yes... I did get my idle about 90% to where it should be.. I'm still fumbling my way thru HPTuners and learning as I go..
I think if I were to do it again I'd find a VVT cam that was just a bit smaller or at least have
a bit more lobe seperation- like 114 or 115 VS the 113 on the gwatney.
Now, if compression was higher than stock or displacement was a bit more it would be fine

OP
OP
F

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to Update: I went thru my "tuning school" book that I paid for and it really helped out.
Any cam larger than stock you have to turn the idle speed up to like 800 ish
and you have to add "base running minimum airflow" up about 20% to get it to run/idle.

I've really enjoyed being able to fine tune my 6L80E trans in regular mode and tow mode.
And modify the torque converter lock up parameter etc

I've got my MPG almost back up to stock. And my towing MPG almost to where
it was stock - about 9.5 mpg- 34' 9000 lb camper w 3 slides.
With the supercharger the best I got towing was 5.5-6 mph

Like I said, I'm still tweaking on this and learning
But I do know for sure that I've gained quite a bit of midrange power with the
camshaft change

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT