For those who have done AFM delete/cam swaps

Discussion in 'Performance' started by Ilikemtb999, Nov 23, 2018.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999 Full Access Member

Name:
    JK
    did you swap out the oil pump and timing chain? My plan was to go with a Texas-speed vvt stage 2 cam kit. Comes with new springs and push rods and the cam phaser limiter.

Most AFM delete kits come with head gaskets, valley cover, lifters, lifter guides and head bolts. Do I need an oil pump and timing gear setup? I’ve got 95k on the clock.

What head gaskets are the go to?

2. randeez

randeez Full Access Member

Name:
    randy
    when i swapped mine, i didnt but engine was replaced under warranty by dealer with less than 5k miles. I would replace both with that many miles, not necessary but you'll be right there. even if they are fine and completely functional they'll have a pattern worn into them. the bolt that holds the cam to the actuator is a tty bolt and regulates oil flow and should be replaced... i dont think it was included with my afm delete kit. I would do hardened pushrods, nothing fancy just house brand 7.400 and trunion upgrade as well, i did CHE they were easy to set back up havent had any problems in about 30k miles since my swap

i put ls9 head gaskets in when doing mine, with 6.2 bore though, everywhere says theyll be fine for any ls block but i dont know if id use them on a 5.3

iamdub likes this.
  3. iamdub

iamdub We need a new plague.

Name:
    Chris
    What Randy said. The stock timing set and oil pump is designed for 200K miles. You're at half that mileage, you'll be right there, and the parts are cheap insurance. You'll have the motor already torn apart to address this problematic AFM system, why not address the other small ones? Stock push rods are known to be weak and the rocker bearings are kinda 50/50. Definitely worth the extra steps to essentially "bulletproof" your engine.

kbuskill and Ilikemtb999 like this.
  4. Ilikemtb999

Name:
    JK
    Alright so here’s my list:
    TSP stage 2 vvt cam kit
    https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5332-texas-speed-53-vvt-camshaft-package.aspx

Melling standard volume oil pump

I’m confused on a timing set. Everything seems to be for 3 bolt but pretty sure the vvt cam is single bolt

5. Ilikemtb999

Name:
    JK