Fog light kit "Not for use with PPV" ...true?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
So I was going to buy a fog light kit from GM parts direct..but it says not for use with PPV police vehicles...Is this true or can I make it work because technically my truck would be considered a PPV but I really don't see how it's any different and I wouldn't be able to install the kit on it.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is just basically saying it is not a direct bolt in.

OP
OP
BEEMDUB

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
Year and model? Does it have the lower bumper pad with the foglight holes cut out?

2007 and yes it has the foglight holes cut out one sec I'll go take a picture

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Heres a close up of my car

temporary_zps90c67a51.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

It is just basically saying it is not a direct bolt in.

Thats what I was wondering...I was just trying to figure out what exactly that means I don't see how it could have the fog light holes and not be a direct bolt in

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am sure the wiring is in there but you would need to get under there and look.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Even the wiring is not there it would not be hard to wire them in.

OP
OP
BEEMDUB

BEEMDUB

PIMP DADDY FLEX
Reaction score
I am sure the wiring is in there but you would need to get under there and look.

---------- Post added at 03:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:46 PM ----------

Even the wiring is not there it would not be hard to wire them in.

Yea I think after this next paycheck I'm just gonna wing it and order the kit and open things up...The housings look pretty small on tahoes though I'm probably going to run 35w hids I don't think they would do well with the heat of the 55watts like I normally use.

flyerstump

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anyone make this work yet?

Did you ever get this to work? i have a '14 PPV and ordered the foglight kit. (it was cheaper to buy the whole kit than the two individual lights, as I was originally just going to wire them up myself. Just needed the factory lights.) I then...installed the new headlight switch, took apart the under hood fuse block and inserted the kit pin out to power the lights into the X1 connector (i think), the B5 hole and put it back together, put the lights on the connectors to try it, held the ground on and tried the switch. Nothing. It says not for PPV for a reason. Maybe the switch isn't powered? The appropriate fuse is already in the foglight position (15amp) and the foglight relay is in it's spot as well.

(Just like they say NO TRAILERING, but yet the connector for the trailer wiring is under the bumper so you can hook up the wiring plug when you install the receiver bumper bar.)

Im going to try to run down some wiring diagrams for the headlight switch and the fuse block tomrw.

I talked to my tech at the DLRSHP hoping that the circuit just needs enabled in the computer, he says that is not the case.

I'm hoping I can jump power to the fog light switch on the headlight switch and make it power the factory circuit.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Silver Trooper

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 and yes it has the foglight holes cut out one sec I'll go take a picture

---------- Post added at 04:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:31 PM ----------

Heres a close up of my car

temporary_zps90c67a51.jpg

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:34 PM ----------

Thats what I was wondering...I was just trying to figure out what exactly that means I don't see how it could have the fog light holes and not be a direct bolt in

The reason it is not a direct bolt in (besides the lack of wiring possibly) is that there are air deflectors riveted in the holes to direct air to the front brakes to provide direct cooling under severe use.

flyerstump

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So on this subject. I had mine on the rack at the dealership and a friend of mine that is a tech helped me investigate. The 2014 PPV I have does not have any brake duct coolers riveted in. The factory fog light kit will bolt into the fascia once you pop the plugs out of the foglight holes. The problem begins with the wiring. The factory wiring for the headlight switch is missing two wires in the harness and the PDC is missing a wire that goes to the foglight relay. We took the switch out and the PDC apart to check. According to the wiring diagrams the foglight circuit from what we can tell is being used for another function. (I can't remember what it was it has been a few months since we looked at it) My workaround...I got the factory fog light kit. It was cheaper as a kit than to just buy the two foglights and the under hood harness, and it had all the factory wiring, hold downs, etc. The headlight switch it contained I sold back to the dealership. The lights bolt in, the harness gets strung out. The ground goes up over the driver's side wheel well into the frame. The single blue wire that comes up the inside of the driver's side wheel well to the PDC and plugs into the cavity for the relay output I cut off. I then got two relays and wired them into the low beams and high beams to activate the fogs whenever the lights were on. Looks clean, works well.