Flush your brake fluid!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
I gotta ask, with all these successful bleeds with no bleeder screw's shearing/stripping am i not twisting hard enough? I tried awhile back to do a full bleed on the 08 xl1500 at 126k but all but one bleeder screw did not give me a hint that they wanted to loosen. Even the one that i did get to break loose was only slightly and than appeared to go tight again as opposed to getting looser, it did not allow full fluid flow. Being old i have learned when to "tap out" as i didnt want to shear a bleeder. Did your bleeder screws go from tight to loose without apprehension? Once you broke them loose could you turn them with your fingers? There is no external corrosion apparent on the bleeders, No rust, Were they simply overtorqued? Car fax shows brake flush every couple years at the same dealer but my experience say's the bleeders have never been loosened? Possible "stealership" norm? just changing resevoir fluid?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta ask, with all these successful bleeds with no bleeder screw's shearing/stripping am i not twisting hard enough? I tried awhile back to do a full bleed on the 08 xl1500 at 126k but all but one bleeder screw did not give me a hint that they wanted to loosen. Even the one that i did get to break loose was only slightly and than appeared to go tight again as opposed to getting looser, it did not allow full fluid flow. Being old i have learned when to "tap out" as i didnt want to shear a bleeder. Did your bleeder screws go from tight to loose without apprehension? Once you broke them loose could you turn them with your fingers? There is no external corrosion apparent on the bleeders, No rust, Were they simply overtorqued? Car fax shows brake flush every couple years at the same dealer but my experience say's the bleeders have never been loosened? Possible "stealership" norm? just changing resevoir fluid?

Since no rust, my guess is that the tech(s) that serviced it last over-torqued them when tightening and you were the next one to come behind them and reap the consequences.

When I did mine, I cracked them loose and could turn them with my fingers, as they should. If anyone over-torqued them when retightening, it's me. I'll find out next time I bleed them.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used speed bleeders?
I've been using them for years and have had no issues up in MA or in NC. Makes flushing easy and fairly quick. Never mind regular brake maintenance.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The dealer probably over tightened them. You can buy new bleeders at any auto parts store. Needle nose vise grips and pb blaster should get the old ones out.

thompsoj22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
california native "REPUBLICAN" high desert
The dealer probably over tightened them. You can buy new bleeders at any auto parts store. Needle nose vise grips and pb blaster should get the old ones out.

Thanks, i want to do an effective flush so im going to get the pb on them daily for a week and than next weekend check with oreilley to the availability of calipers/lines in the event they shear half open? Also appreciate the new info in regard to bleeding the abs manifold/pump with key on during pedal stroke cycles!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Romeroman64