Flush your brake fluid!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I just used my home made vacuum bleeder attached to my vacuum pump I use for A/C work and start at the right rear as @iamdub described. Once the fluid is clean the others go much faster.

I didn't mess with turning keys on and turning keys off or putting my left foot in and taking my left foot out... and there was most certainly no shaking it all about.

Once I was done I pumped the pedal a few times and all was well.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I typically do my brake fluid annually w/ dot4.

Excessive? Perhaps. But dot4 is hygroscopic more so than dot3. Moisture in the brake system is, to be frank, the cause of a lot of system related failures.

I do a lot of high speed driving up and down mountain passes. Been a couple times when I'm doing 100-105 and traffic's still passing me. When I need to stop, I need to ******' stop. It's cheap peace of mind.

I use a vacuum bleeder with a clear hose to purge fluid from the lines. Then 2 maybe 3 pumps of the pedal per corner to make sure there's no air, as the vacuum system inevitably sucks air past the threads on the bleeder. Reservoir takes a quart on its own, and I generally flush another quart through the lines.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I typically do my brake fluid annually w/ dot4.

Excessive? Perhaps. But dot4 is hygroscopic more so than dot3. Moisture in the brake system is, to be frank, the cause of a lot of system related failures.

I do a lot of high speed driving up and down mountain passes. Been a couple times when I'm doing 100-105 and traffic's still passing me. When I need to stop, I need to ******' stop. It's cheap peace of mind.

I use a vacuum bleeder with a clear hose to purge fluid from the lines. Then 2 maybe 3 pumps of the pedal per corner to make sure there's no air, as the vacuum system inevitably sucks air past the threads on the bleeder. Reservoir takes a quart on its own, and I generally flush another quart through the lines.
Sounds like you need Wilwoods and their high temp racing fluid.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those would be cute. But **** that price tag. Truck stops fine *shrug*
Yeah well I lost almost all braking coming down a steep back road in the Cascade Mountains due to my pads almost melting and decided it was worth the price the way I drive. The Wilwoods haven’t let me down. I figure if they save me from crashing one time I’m ahead.

Bart Hinder

Reaction score
Great stuff, guys. I know there's a difference between flushing (replacing) the brake fluid vs. bleeding any air out of the brake lines. What I'm trying to understand is what and when to be concerned about the ABS solenoid valves.

Looks like my Motive power bleeder will arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan