Fluid in abs wheel sensor. Trouble shoot.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rbphil

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2014 Tahoe PPV. I have been throwing a intermittent ABS Stabilitrak code and finally had it scanned to see what the issue was. Report showed faulty left rear abs wheel sensor. So on inspection I removed the sensor to find it covered in a thin oilly fluid. No visible leaks or noted driving issues. I have seen from other vehicle forums this could be rear diff fluid and a bad axle seal. Is this the likely culprit. Has anyone else found this fluid on their abs sensor, and is this a big reason for concern? Thank you all.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2014 Tahoe PPV. I have been throwing a intermittent ABS Stabilitrak code and finally had it scanned to see what the issue was. Report showed faulty left rear abs wheel sensor. So on inspection I removed the sensor to find it covered in a thin oilly fluid. No visible leaks or noted driving issues. I have seen from other vehicle forums this could be rear diff fluid and a bad axle seal. Is this the likely culprit. Has anyone else found this fluid on their abs sensor, and is this a big reason for concern? Thank you all.
I agree with the others that the most likely culprit is the rear axle seal. It's not too hard to remove the caliper, bracket and brake disk to get a good look at the area behind it. At that point, replacing the seal is also pretty straightforward.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to reply to an old thread , but was this the problem? I have the same issue. Mine is on an 9 inch for my 2008 yukon denali. It has fluid leaking from the abs sensor on the same side. Its an aftermarket sensor. Could the oring be bad for the sensor or do i need to replace the axle seal?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder why the Em. brake shoes need to come off to do this ?

my axle seals leaked and I first noticed by the e brake not holding as well. pulled the rotor off and you can see the fluid. I feel like it would coat the e brake pads long before finding it's ways into the sensor thou?

just to add, oem seals aren't much more than cheap ones. Just replace with good.