Fluctuating Voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlueAc

Reaction score
Yes, turns the alt on when battery voltage drops below a set parameter and it supposedly saves gas....

Ok... thanks I'm gonna give it a shot. I just installed a stereo system and my voltage is all over the place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Denali2k8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't find any super definitive answer as to if there is ANY negative to this? Old school charging systems worked fine, so in theory this will work fine without it. Any chance the alt overcharges the battery?

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't find any super definitive answer as to if there is ANY negative to this? Old school charging systems worked fine, so in theory this will work fine without it. Any chance the alt overcharges the battery?

No negatives to it at all. Never had an issue with it.

Rockford

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have recently begun to notice this on my 2016 Yukon XL SLT. I have had it just over a year, and this started about 3 months ago. When I took it to the stealership, they told me about the fluctuating charging. I asked why my alternator would charge LESS when the battery is OLDER. Seems to me it would charge more often as the battery gets older. I find this frustrating and a bit worrysome. I agree with the post above that states that older charging systems seemed to work just fine. How are you supposed to know when you have a problem with these vehicles unless they leave you stranded somewhere? I might try the fix you have stated in this thread, and see what happens. With all the electronics and computers on these vehicles, I would think you would NEVER want to under volt them.

c5corvette

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this for a long enough to report back what it really does or doesn't do (and if it saves on gas too) ???

BULLITT65

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, I just looked down at the gauge today on my 2016 Yukon Denali and noticed it was only at about 12v. So I happened to be by O'Reilly, and pulled in. Started the car back up and it was over 14v, the guy that works there said to stop back by if it dropped. As soon as I left the parking lot it dropped back down, so I made a u turn and had him check it, Sure enough it was only charging at 12.7v. I called the dealership they said the powertrain warranty doesn't cover the alternator, just motor and lubricated parts in the drivetrain. So I am not sure how to tell if this is normal and I just now noticed it, or if the regulator in the alternator is truly going out? (my battery is 6 months old)

I can unplug that pig tail, and then watch the gauge and see if it moves around. Would that narrow down the issue?

Last edited:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I just looked down at the gauge today on my 2016 Yukon Denali and noticed it was only at about 12v. So I happened to be by O'Reilly, and pulled in. Started the car back up and it was over 14v, the guy that works there said to stop back by if it dropped. As soon as I left the parking lot it dropped back down, so I made a u turn and had him check it, Sure enough it was only charging at 12.7v. I called the dealership they said the powertrain warranty doesn't cover the alternator, just motor and lubricated parts in the drivetrain. So I am not sure how to tell if this is normal and I just now noticed it, or if the regulator in the alternator is truly going out? (my battery is 6 months old)

I can unplug that pig tail, and then watch the gauge and see if it moves around. Would that narrow down the issue?
Its normal, you nrver noticed.
Look up gm rvc

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hottyson