Fluctuating voltage gage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dixieman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fluctuating voltage gage, sometimes at 14 then drops to 12. Do these alternators charge as needed or should they be charging 14 + all the time.

OP
OP
D

Dixieman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. sorry for the double post. cannot figure out how to delete.

2011 tahoe ls

me88

Reaction score
The ECM controls the alternator output, there are 6(!) different charging modes that the computer chooses from depending on temperature, electrical load, headlights on or off, ...

OP
OP
D

Dixieman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guess I need to check battery cables and starter. Sounds like weak battery most of the time when cranking even with new battery

Cantrepeat

Reaction score
Fluctuating voltage gage, sometimes at 14 then drops to 12. Do these alternators charge as needed or should they be charging 14 + all the time.
I'm under the impression that newer alternator/charging systems actually shut off when the power is not needed. Thus, the gauge will show 12v or lower and when on show a normal 13-14v.

Scoots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm under the impression that newer alternator/charging systems actually shut off when the power is not needed. Thus, the gauge will show 12v or lower and when on show a normal 13-14v.
My 2012 Tahoe is also between 12-14+ I noticed on a road trip so replaced alternator since the Tahoe has 98,000 on it
After replacing for the first 10 min 14+ then dropped again to 12-13 for a few minutes?

Scoots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Was this confirmed? That would be great
Thank You

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins