Floppy gear selector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had it in my head it was sloppy between gears. Carry on
LOL, better than being broken-jammed, had my old nbs broke into a couple times and I don't know how they did it but they managed to break the shifter loose and then jam it back into place and that breaks something else inside both times the dealer charged $500 to fix it, they do this in the process of stealing the head unit.

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it might be this one

General Motors, Spring, 7812853

View attachment 217682

I forgot to update this thread but the result was exactly this. I order this spring @Chrismnj posted and opened the column up and found the broken spring and replaced it and it's good as gold. Was kind of a pain in the ass trimming the replacement spring down a few times to get the right length and getting it in and out of there but I got'r done. ;)

Thanks all for the info and help here. :hands:

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to update this thread but the result was exactly this. I order this spring @Chrismnj posted and opened the column up and found the broken spring and replaced it and it's good as gold. Was kind of a pain in the ass trimming the replacement spring down a few times to get the right length and getting it in and out of there but I got'r done. ;)

Thanks all for the info and help here. :hands:

I've made this a sticky and edited the title because I know this is going to come up again as these GMT900's age and get some miles on them.

Get a room you too....

Geez Jacob doesn’t answer me that quick.....lmao :rolleyes:

OP
OP
89Suburban

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've made this a sticky and edited the title because I know this is going to come up again as these GMT900's age and get some miles on them.

Thanks Jacob here is some additional input of my experience with this:

It’s pretty simple opening up the column. Hardest part is trimming the spring to the right length and getting it in and out of the little nook it goes into. Only so much of the spring fits in there so I stuck in in then trimmed it until it fit in there under pressure. But still had too much length because the shifter had limited movement and would not even come out of the gear cog so it is a balance of trimming it to the right length for it to fit, and compress and still have the shifter have enough space to move properly towards you, if that makes any sense. :confused:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a room you too....

Geez Jacob doesn’t answer me that quick.....lmao :rolleyes:
We had just been talking about this fix over email when he updated the thread :slap:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons