Flex fuel vs. gasoline

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

custom99

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2003 Yukon XL that can run on flex fuel or gas. Anybody running flex fuel? Do you get worse gas mileage or performance running it?

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to come of harsh but you are a bit mistaken...
the flex fuel means it has a few extra components which alow you to run on either E85 ethanol or regular Gasoline
Many people run E85 and i think it does end up giving you a bit of a drop in mileage but not much.
Also most gasoline now is something like 10% ethanol anyway...

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not to come of harsh but you are a bit mistaken...
the flex fuel means it has a few extra components which alow you to run on either E85 ethanol or regular Gasoline
Many people run E85 and i think it does end up giving you a bit of a drop in mileage but not much.
Also most gasoline now is something like 10% ethanol anyway...

Huh? I dont get it. Did I miss something? Seems like the OP said similar to what you did.

E85 will get you less mpg but costs less and is supposed to be better for the environment.

Also with the higher octane rating you "should" see better performance.

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried out E-85 and my mileage went from 13.1 city to 7.8 city. I won't be trying that again......

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried out E-85 and my mileage went from 13.1 city to 7.8 city. I won't be trying that again......

lol, thats sucks! Thats what I have been hearing though. Has anyone done the math for price to mpg ratio for e85 vs other gas? I wonder how close they come to each other. I dunno how much that stuff costs, never used it.

ntxstallion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now where I am(TX) it is about a 35 cent difference for E85 vs gas. I have not ran a full tank of it yet though. I usually do half and half at the pump just to save a little in the pocket book. By doing half and half, I have not noticed the extra "pep" nor have I noticed a decline in mpg. It usually is around 14.3 in the city and has been stable for the last two or three weeks. I don't "gas it" that much and I stay on the freeway as much as possible. I like using it if I am near one of the few stations that sell it.

BTW, when I do half and half, it only cost about 50 or so at current prices to fill her up. This is from a 1/4 tank though.

Venom One

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol, thats sucks! Thats what I have been hearing though. Has anyone done the math for price to mpg ratio for e85 vs other gas? I wonder how close they come to each other. I dunno how much that stuff costs, never used it.

It's .30 less per gallon than regular unleaded here...not worth it IMO.

40.8 cents per mile for E-85

26.6 cents per mile for regular unleaded

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesnt seem worth it to me either!

ntxstallion, thats an interesting idea of mixing them up. SOunds like its working for ya too!