First Tahoe. New to the forum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverDadofTwins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just picked up an ‘03 Tahoe LT with only 88K on it.

Got a good deal so flew from Denver to Salt Lake City then drove to twin falls Idaho in a rental. Drove it 11 hours back to Denver and couldn’t be happier.

Looking for info on how to identify way transmission is in it and what major services I should do first. It’s only ever had the oil changed and had the tie rod ends replaced not too long ago.

Body is in very good condition as it was garage kept. Interior is a little beat up but nothing major. Been working on detailing it for the last couple days.

Looking forward to learning a lot from the forum and getting a lot of value out of this vehicle!

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome!

The trans should be a 4L60E. To identify the trans and a whole lot of other useful info, you can submit your VIN here: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/vin-decoder

For other, more in-depth details, you can look up the RPO codes listed on the white sticker on the inside of your glove box lid. All of those 3-digit alphanumeric codes refer to build options. Even the paint code is identified at the bottom following the "BC/CC" (base coat/clear coat). This is helpful when searching for touch-up paint. The sticker looks like this:

gm-rpo-sticker.jpg

With only 88,000 miles, your Tahoe should have a long life left in it. With proper care and maintenance, 300,000 miles is normal so you should definitely get your value. First thing is to give it a good once-over front-to-back and top-to-bottom and replace all fluids that you don't know the history of. Maybe even the coolant, although it's supposed to be good for 100,000 miles. Check and/or replace the air filter, clean the MAF sensor, clean the throttle body, install a catch can, etc. There really shouldn't be much worn out at 88K unless it was a city beater. Shocks are the most likely component to need attention, followed by the suspension bushings and ball joints. Other than that, you may find just little quirks that have most likely been covered on this forum. Reliability is high and repairs are cheap and easy on these things.

Now, where are the pics? :)

OP
OP
DenverDadofTwins

DenverDadofTwins

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Haven’t taken many pics yet. I’ll take some more today when I start detailing it. The truck was purchased by a grandmother and only driven 30K miles when she gave it to her grandson in 2013.
He gave it to his wife to haul their four kids around. He said he had hauled a travel trailer a couple times but didn’t like how it tied so he bought a truck to tow it with. I’ll assume he overloaded the Tahoe and that’s why he described it as sluggish when towing.

Here are the only pics I’ve taken so far. One from right after I bought it and a couple to show how much dirt was ground into the leather. Then after cleaning the leather with dish soap then applying Meguirs leather protector. And the RPO codes. I’ve been going through them but haven’t had too much success on mobile. I’ll research them more when I get to my laptop.

Thank you for the welcome! I’ll upload more pics later

A1E84758-C8F0-4D0B-8BFC-BBA827E812A9.jpeg 74DAEE97-10E8-453C-95E0-CCF73D0C39D0.jpeg 7A117F55-2BB8-4041-8E9A-5456D1F3AE39.jpeg 5D719810-4B36-4BA7-8F31-726208BC2DCD.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Haven’t taken many pics yet. I’ll take some more today when I start detailing it. The truck was purchased by a grandmother and only driven 30K miles when she gave it to her grandson in 2013.
He gave it to his wife to haul their four kids around. He said he had hauled a travel trailer a couple times but didn’t like how it tied so he bought a truck to tow it with. I’ll assume he overloaded the Tahoe and that’s why he described it as sluggish when towing.

Here are the only pics I’ve taken so far. One from right after I bought it and a couple to show how much dirt was ground into the leather. Then after cleaning the leather with dish soap then applying Meguirs leather protector. And the RPO codes. I’ve been going through them but haven’t had too much success on mobile. I’ll research them more when I get to my laptop.

Thank you for the welcome! I’ll upload more pics later

View attachment 212447 View attachment 212448 View attachment 212449 View attachment 212450
I see you have the folding mirrors, Bose, and 3.73 geared rear. Just a few that I know. Scrubbing bubbles work wonders with cleaning leather seats--yes, the stuff you clean tubs/toilets with.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for info on how to identify way transmission is in it and what major services I should do first. It’s only ever had the oil changed and had the tie rod ends replaced not too long ago.

Welcome from Miami Beach Brian!! Sounds as if you got a very well maintained Tahoe. Please post any more issues in the 2003 section. Thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st