First mods - 2017 5.3 , 54k miles, 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, since my 5/60 warranty is dropping off in Sept, what easy suggested mods do you recommend?

Black Bear tune is something I hear a lot on here, so need some info and $$$ cost, then what else would you do?

Just looking to get a little more fun out of the truck, nothing extreme, is CAI worth it?

I really don't want to kill my highway mileage, does the tune completely delete the AFm?

Catch can benefits/cost/difficulty of install?

Any replie appreciated, my mechanical skills are pretty limited.

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Ok, since my 5/60 warranty is dropping off in Sept, what easy suggested mods do you recommend?

Black Bear tune is something I hear a lot on here, so need some info and $$$ cost, then what else would you do?

Just looking to get a little more fun out of the truck, nothing extreme, is CAI worth it?

I really don't want to kill my highway mileage, does the tune completely delete the AFm?

Catch can benefits/cost/difficulty of install?

Any replie appreciated, my mechanical skills are pretty limited.
A CAI itself probably isn't worth it, but a CAI coupled with a BlackBear Tune and an exhaust will 100% wake up the vehicle. I'm running all three and the vehicle feels like how it should have felt from the factory. No More sluggish acceleration, doesn't feel like the power is being restricted. The vehicle is allot more fun to drive and sounds great.

And yes you can choose to disable AFM with the tune. Some people don't agree with it, but if I wanted a 4 cylinder I would have bought a Honda accord, not a full size v8.

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you change to dual exhaust?

I'm a little clueless about Catback, except for the fact that it's from the catalytic converter back

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As @BlackYukon stated, a CAI or exhaust alone won't make any real noticeable performance difference, other than a different sound. IMO, a Black Bear Performance tune is your best performance bang for the buck (~$600).

Once you have your Black Bear Performance tune in place, if you add any more mods in the future for which would benefit from a modified tune, you can obtain a free updated Black Bear Performance tune adjustment as many times as you want for the life of your truck.

Give @BlackBearPerf a call and discuss your wants.

Last edited:

BlackYukon

I'm kind of a Retard
Reaction score
Mpg with afm disabled?
No Change. I'm still getting around 17-18mpg.
Did you change to dual exhaust?

I'm a little clueless about Catback, except for the fact that it's from the catalytic converter back
No I went with a Corsa Sport Catback exhaust. I'v been very happy with it so far, no complaints.

With a Catback You still have a muffler but besides that it's mostly all pipes.

Pivot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed with the above - also aftermarket sway bars if you want your fun to extend from straights to curves. Maybe bump to 22" wheels, or tire upgrades with current wheels. Lighting upgrades perhaps

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty cool with the stock wheels/tires , and I am in Florida so 4x4 is pretty good for anything I need.

Sounds like Black Bear tune /CAI/Catback is the ticket, my mpg is 22-24 highway, but do you all think the afm delete is worth doing?

My mpg hwy is kinda no biggie- maybe one trip every few months, but it's not like I drive more than 250 miles away

More than 6 hours of highway driving is annoying for me, I saw the lower 48 states before I was 18, Dad was an RV'er so I fly out and rent trucks through Turo (just got a Raptor for 2 days in Aspen for $450, and I'll do it again- great service if you want something besides the basic Hertz crap)

So mpg is kinda irrelevant the more I think about it. Extra 4 mpg is nothing over a 500 mile round trip.

Appreciate the help!

OP
OP
TahoeFL2017

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess my question is how much would the afm delete help the longevity of the engine. From other threads I read it helps.

Eddie Rivera

Reaction score
I guess my question is how much would the afm delete help the longevity of the engine. From other threads I read it helps.
Where in Florida are you? I'm in the Ft. Lauderdale area. I have an AFE momentum CAI for sale. I bought it to use along side my magnuson supercharger but it seems like it will be too difficult to make it work. It's practically in like new condition. If you're nearby it's $250 if not, it's $250 plus shipping, which wouldn't be too much since you're in FL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons