First Mod of importance...Back Up Assist

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrScottSmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All -

Going to start work on first mod that I think is unique and may benefit the community. I want to add rear part assist to the '04 Yuk XL.

So...

Here is the kit as ordered from Amazon. IMG_5969.jpg

My questions involve the mounting and modification of the kit annunciator and power. I am going to modify a factory park assist button (from an Escalade) to turn the annunciator off when needed. Will be located next to the Stability Control button as in an Escalade.

IMG_5965.jpg

Here is the bigger issue. I want to mount the annunciator in the blank ABOVE the stability control button.
IMG_5967.jpg
It would look something like this (taken out of the surface mount housing it came in). With a piece of dark tinted plexi or something on top to make it look a little less gaudy.

What is the best way to cut a slot in the blank piece of plastic to make it look neat?
IMG_5970.jpg

It could be cut as a true rectangle and mounted from the rear...the darker tinted cover should conceal the edges. Note that the LEDs on the unit are smaller to larger - not level across.

Thoughts?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
All -

Going to start work on first mod that I think is unique and may benefit the community. I want to add rear part assist to the '04 Yuk XL.

So...

Here is the kit as ordered from Amazon. View attachment 229546

My questions involve the mounting and modification of the kit annunciator and power. I am going to modify a factory park assist button (from an Escalade) to turn the annunciator off when needed. Will be located next to the Stability Control button as in an Escalade.

View attachment 229544

Here is the bigger issue. I want to mount the annunciator in the blank ABOVE the stability control button.
View attachment 229545
It would look something like this (taken out of the surface mount housing it came in). With a piece of dark tinted plexi or something on top to make it look a little less gaudy.

What is the best way to cut a slot in the blank piece of plastic to make it look neat?
View attachment 229547

It could be cut as a true rectangle and mounted from the rear...the darker tinted cover should conceal the edges. Note that the LEDs on the unit are smaller to larger - not level across.

Thoughts?

I would reach for a dremel with a tiny cutting wheel.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dremel for the larger portion of it then finish it up with a razor knife, I thought about adding one my to my 00, but then a backup cam became much more useful as I could actually see what I was backing up into, there are blind spot detector kit's on the market also that are very similar to this.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep
Dremel for the larger portion of it then finish it up with a razor knife, I thought about adding one my to my 00, but then a backup cam became much more useful as I could actually see what I was backing up into, there are blind spot detector kit's on the market also that are very similar to this.

Yep, I love a good camera over park assist any day.

OP
OP
D

DrScottSmith

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks all - actually going to do both...new radio with backup cam in addition to the beeps of the park assist...

Which small dremel cutting tool is the tool of choice?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all - actually going to do both...new radio with backup cam in addition to the beeps of the park assist...

Which small dremel cutting tool is the tool of choice?
Just buy a few different cutting tips and then touch up with a couple files.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
just take your time and be careful it's easy to exceed the area you intended since it's just plastic, if you have some kind of brace or vise that helps a lot

iddqd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually a standard feature on the GMT800 Escalades. I honestly love it more that a camera. Got used to it beeping when backing up so much, that when I disabled it once I hit a wall, since I know literally parking and backing up by ear :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts