Finally Jumped on the Oil Catch Can Bandwagon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed my catch can in late January. My truck had gotten the max treatment for the oil consumption TSB (updated valve cover, AFM relief valve deflector, new rings and pistons, etc.) and it burns no appreciable oil between changes since that work, so I didn't expect to see much in the catch can.

True to my expectations, when I check my catch can, I don't get any oil in the cup. It only takes a minute to open the hood, put a small plastic cup under the pot and open the petcock, it also gives me a reason to check the oil, etc., while I am there. I probably check it every few weeks.

Even though my engine isn't pumping any oil at this time, I think the catch can is still a good idea. I see it as a kind of canary in the coal mine, letting me know if and when it starts pumping oil.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the remote catch can with a breather on it. They're cheap on ebay and Amazon.

I'm sure the rocker cover to intake tube can be done the same. You're gonna have to double check these circuits and how they flow. I'm trying to think waaay back on my '02 4.3. I think it had a tube from the driver cover to the intake tube, then another from the passenger cover to the back of the throttle body "hat". The passenger side is the one I put a breather on and capped off the port on the back of the hat. I can't remember what I did with the one on the driver side. I don't think it's like an LS. On an LS, the passenger side is air INTO the engine, driver side is PCV OUT of the engine and into the intake manifold. On the Vortec, they're both out of the covers and into the intake tract after the MAF and before the TB.

...Maybe get a dual inlet catch can? They have them with and without the breather filter. My guess is that you shouldn't have a breather filter if it's connected to the intake. So, if you have a hose from each cover going to the two inlets on the catch can, you'd either have the breather filter and the outlet of the can plugged off or you have the breather plugged off and the outlet of the can connected to the intake. I say get the one with the breather filter so you'll have the option either way.

Gimme a few minutes and I'll go snap a pic of the restrictor kit. It'd definitely fit in a small envelope.
This talk is confusing me because the Vortec name has been used for the LS truck engines. My 02 LQ4 is a Vortec, my 08 LY2 is a Vortec.

Last edited:

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So tonight was the first time driving with the new Catch Can. Drove 20 minutes (a few WOT runs to clean things up ;)) and I can’t believe how much oil is in the can just from 20 minutes of driving....

wsteele experience is just like mine.

The first mod I did when we bought our 130k mile Denali in the fall of 2018 was install a cheap amazon catch can. Back then it would catch 1 oz per 100 miles. So I installed the updated driverside valve cover, GM# 12570427, and performed the TSB 10-06-01-008M. Now, w/167,000 miles on it, it collects only 1 oz per 5,000 miles and I never need to add any oil between changes.

Here's a thread I did about the valve cover etc:
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...tor-oil-consumption-tsb-10-60-10-008m.108493/

*NOTE* I also replaced the engine rear main seal because it was leaking.

Here the latest pic of my inexpensive catch can and the 2 oz of oil it caught in the last 10,000 miles.
DSCN9982.JPG
DSCN9983.JPG

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score

The first mod I did when we bought our 130k mile Denali in the fall of 2018 was install a cheap amazon catch can. Back then it would catch 1 oz per 100 miles. So I installed the updated driverside valve cover, GM# 12570427, and performed the TSB 10-06-01-008M. Now, w/167,000 miles on it, it collects only 1 oz per 5,000 miles and I never need to add any oil between changes.

https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...tor-oil-consumption-tsb-10-60-10-008m.108493/

Here the latest pic of my inexpensive catch can and the 2 oz of oil it caught in the last 10,000 miles.
View attachment 274314
View attachment 274315

Thanks for the PN’s. Looks like I’ll finally be hopping on that bandwagon too!

OP
OP
Jason in DLH

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score

View attachment 274314
View attachment 274315

Thankfully I don’t have AFM, so I don’t believe I would need to do the deflector for the TSB. Or should I?

And dumb question: how do I know if the PN for the valve cover is the updated one? When I search for it first thing that came up is a Chevy cover and says it only fits Chevy (that’s a bit strange). Found this as well...

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-valve-cover-12570427

It doesn’t show the inside of the cover though.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thankfully I don’t have AFM, so I don’t believe I would need to do the deflector for the TSB. Or should I?

And dumb question: how do I know if the PN for the valve cover is the updated one? When I search for it first thing that came up is a Chevy cover and says it only fits Chevy (that’s a bit strange). Found this as well...

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-valve-cover-12570427

It doesn’t show the inside of the cover though.

I am a little unclear which of the 2007-2009 Denali's came with all the AFM components and which didn't, but in any case, if it were me, I wouldn't bother to install the deflector (if I did have all the bits installed), unless I was dropping the pan for some other reason and even in that case, I probably would just plug the relief valve versus install the deflector, again, if the AFM stuff was there and just not turned on.

The part number you searched is the right number, GMpartsdirect just has the wrong picture (it looks like they are showing a bank 2 cover, not bank 1). If you search your model year, etc. on Rock Auto, it will show the correct cover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094