Finally getting a Tech2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
And to make matters worse, the pictures aren’t even showing up LOL
Trying again using “Upload a File” instead of dragging and dropping the images inline with the text (which looked like it was going to work just fine while composing the message). Let’s try this again! :D

Before:
0979CC6F-5DC0-4614-8807-ADEE1F177989.jpeg

That opening is WAY too small:
8E00ADA7-F220-4E2C-966F-BC05829E6443.jpeg

Nurse, scalpel please:
F3C09708-123A-4B54-A77B-3DA0CF525100.jpeg

Not the cleanest job, but I can tidy this up easily enough:
80CD6554-DF80-4A3F-835C-CB813D16480C.jpeg

PCMCIA card fits in like a glove now:
D02ECBAF-4353-443F-BAD9-DF391F9F27DE.jpeg

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
Oh, I’m so excited!!!:
1E35C77C-C74C-4B87-AA1B-F7BB38486826.jpeg

What?!? :Angry::
CFA9E5A0-F2D8-4A58-83BB-468E5AD4FE31.jpeg

Has anybody seen this before? Is my card blank after all? Sigh, I hope I don’t have to wait another two weeks for a replacement card from China.

The saga continues...

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
When all else fails, RTFM... The section called “Initial Hardware Installation” under “Getting Started” may have been a good place to turn first. :oops: But I can’t help it, this whole Tech 2 adventure has been such a rollercoaster of emotions, and I was too excited for it to work!

Here is the happy picture I was looking for:
F6A70B68-638D-49D2-A4F7-59624A074F99.jpeg

Version 33.004 and all. The work day can’t come to an end fast enough now so I can hook it up and play!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When all else fails, RTFM... The section called “Initial Hardware Installation” under “Getting Started” may have been a good place to turn first. :oops: But I can’t help it, this whole Tech 2 adventure has been such a rollercoaster of emotions, and I was too excited for it to work!

Here is the happy picture I was looking for:
View attachment 193323

Version 33.004 and all. The work day can’t come to an end fast enough now so I can hook it up and play!
Did you read the instructions? I'm guessing not lol.

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
Did you read the instructions? I'm guessing not lol.
Guilty as charged. :emotions34:

I wanted to make sure it powered up and loaded properly first so I could let the seller know what’s going on and was going to read the instructions to use it after. :badidea: I clearly didn’t realize I needed the instructions to even power it up the first time.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Candi module was not attached in post #33 right? It should be mentioned on the display right below "32 Megabyte".

Your photo jogged my memory and that lip on the door is the obstruction to the PCMCIA slot on mine too. Must've been a Friday afternoon build or Monday morning build!

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
The Candi module was not attached in post #33 right? It should be mentioned on the display right below "32 Megabyte".

Your photo jogged my memory and that lip on the door is the obstruction to the PCMCIA slot on mine too. Must've been a Friday afternoon build or Monday morning build!
You’ve got a good eye, James! The CANdi module was not attached. The documentation (because I *ALWAYS* read the documentation first :rolleyes:) described the cables and connectors required for hardware initialization, so those were all I had used to that point when I took the screen shot.

This morning, I hooked it all up with the CANdi module (which did show as connected on the splash screen) and oh happy day, I was finally able to reset my fuel trims AND ALCOHOL PERCENTAGE!!! Cold engine from overnight, ignition ON engine OFF. Connected Tech 2, made the resets, then (about 10 minutes later) turned the key. Engine fired up so smoothly, the garage didn’t reek of unspent fuel in the exhaust, it didn’t want to stall while shifting into drive, and my goodness who knew that this would even be the resolution to my engine taking forever to heat up. I know a leaner burn is a hotter burn, but it was amazing just how quickly my engine warmed up to operating temperature. My morning consists of two fairly short runs (to daycare, then to work), and so my engine hasn’t fully heated up all winter on Monday to Fridays, just when I go for longer drives on the weekend (terrible for the engine, I know, but I’m not going to do laps just to get it warm). Well, for the first work day all winter my temperature gauge finally hit 100C, right where it should be.

Two slightly sour notes: one, as I approached work I pulled over and hooked up the Tech 2 again as I wanted to check on the LTFT and maybe start a recording as I drove the last little bit. The Tech 2 powered up in RS232 download mode again, and I had to go through the process of connecting the loop back plug and disconnecting from the ODB2 port so the RS232 Download Mode process could complete. I thought that was a one-time event. I’m glad I had all the piece parts with me!

Second, I noticed that the LTFT, while not in the -29% range with STFT a further -15ish% like before, had still crept down to about -17%. So it looks like I still have some detective work to do. Both banks’ LTFT and STFT were matching, as they were before the reset.

The good news is that I now get to dig into my shiny new service manual (or as shiny as a PDF gets, I suppose) and my shiny new Tech 2 and get to learn and play! I’m not afraid to do my own work of course (why else would I get the manual and a Tech 2 and make an effort to be active on TYF? :head3:), but I don’t actually know very much about how it all works yet (MAF, MAP, O2 sensors, intake manifolds, etc. etc. etc.). I’m really excited that now I get to learn and troubleshoot with an actual problem to fix.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've not had that happen, that download mode situation. I did run all the tests with the different connectors when I got it and then after replacing the OBDII connector. The engines heat up rather quickly compared to previous ones. Using the remote start should help get it up to temp faster too.

OP
OP
Teeroy78

Teeroy78

Reaction score
I've not had that happen, that download mode situation. I did run all the tests with the different connectors when I got it and then after replacing the OBDII connector. The engines heat up rather quickly compared to previous ones. Using the remote start should help get it up to temp faster too.
Most definitely, the remote start will be very appreciated once again! Well, after I replace the oil pressure sensor, but that’s a tale for another day. :D

I’ve been very jealous of my wife’s winter heat in her Chevy Cruze with her itty bitty 1.4L 4 cylinder turbo engine that heats up so incredibly quickly and blows hot air so fast compared by my behemoth 5.3L V8 that took 20 minutes to warm up. Jealousy cured.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
You’ve got a good eye, James! The CANdi module was not attached. The documentation (because I *ALWAYS* read the documentation first :rolleyes:) described the cables and connectors required for hardware initialization, so those were all I had used to that point when I took the screen shot.

This morning, I hooked it all up with the CANdi module (which did show as connected on the splash screen) and oh happy day, I was finally able to reset my fuel trims AND ALCOHOL PERCENTAGE!!! Cold engine from overnight, ignition ON engine OFF. Connected Tech 2, made the resets, then (about 10 minutes later) turned the key. Engine fired up so smoothly, the garage didn’t reek of unspent fuel in the exhaust, it didn’t want to stall while shifting into drive, and my goodness who knew that this would even be the resolution to my engine taking forever to heat up. I know a leaner burn is a hotter burn, but it was amazing just how quickly my engine warmed up to operating temperature. My morning consists of two fairly short runs (to daycare, then to work), and so my engine hasn’t fully heated up all winter on Monday to Fridays, just when I go for longer drives on the weekend (terrible for the engine, I know, but I’m not going to do laps just to get it warm). Well, for the first work day all winter my temperature gauge finally hit 100C, right where it should be.

Two slightly sour notes: one, as I approached work I pulled over and hooked up the Tech 2 again as I wanted to check on the LTFT and maybe start a recording as I drove the last little bit. The Tech 2 powered up in RS232 download mode again, and I had to go through the process of connecting the loop back plug and disconnecting from the ODB2 port so the RS232 Download Mode process could complete. I thought that was a one-time event. I’m glad I had all the piece parts with me!

Second, I noticed that the LTFT, while not in the -29% range with STFT a further -15ish% like before, had still crept down to about -17%. So it looks like I still have some detective work to do. Both banks’ LTFT and STFT were matching, as they were before the reset.

The good news is that I now get to dig into my shiny new service manual (or as shiny as a PDF gets, I suppose) and my shiny new Tech 2 and get to learn and play! I’m not afraid to do my own work of course (why else would I get the manual and a Tech 2 and make an effort to be active on TYF? :head3:), but I don’t actually know very much about how it all works yet (MAF, MAP, O2 sensors, intake manifolds, etc. etc. etc.). I’m really excited that now I get to learn and troubleshoot with an actual problem to fix.

Love this!