Finally a proud Tahoe OWNER!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CampingTahoe16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's been years - DECADES in the making, but I'm finally the owner of a Tahoe! I got a 2016 Tahoe LT with the HD Towing Package. We're a camping family and I was maxing out a v6 GMC terrain. My camper weighs 3300 pounds and my Terrian max towing capacity was 3500. Yes I was pushing it, but no more.

I can't wait to hitch up the camper behind this fine Tahoe.

Anyway, I'm here to learn - so if anyone has some cool tips or thinks to look for please pass them my way.

Thank you!

IMG_4922.JPG

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Nice looking truck.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Rusty!

Nice Tahoe! Don't forget to check out the 2015-2020 section.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
It's been years - DECADES in the making, but I'm finally the owner of a Tahoe! I got a 2016 Tahoe LT with the HD Towing Package. We're a camping family and I was maxing out a v6 GMC terrain. My camper weighs 3300 pounds and my Terrian max towing capacity was 3500. Yes I was pushing it, but no more.

Anyway, I'm here to learn - so if anyone has some cool tips or thinks to look for please pass them my way.

Thank you!

View attachment 272093

Welcome! Looks great and I’ll bet you’ll enjoy the greater pulling power with this rig.

First order of business: Displacement On Demand delete. There are issues with worn camshafts with the DOD lifters. Swap them out for normal lifters and a normal cam. Lots of threads on here regarding it.

I don’t have the time currently to do the mechanical swap, so I opted to get a Range DOD delete that hooks up to the OBD port until I can get rid of the DOD.

2nd order of business: An oil catch can to prevent oil spray back into the intake. I paid $140 for one on Summit Racing, but after I learned people are getting them on EBay for $40. Put a stainless steel scrubber in there to help.

Fluids all good?

And how about a quality Ceramic Coating to protect that great paint!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thank you!

View attachment 272093

Glad to have you here Rusty! If you haven't hitched up the trailer to the Tahoe already, it'll be a night and day difference over the little itty bitty Terrain!

Change your fluids often, including the transmission and consider dumping the transmission thermostat that keeps the temp at 195 or so all the time at the expense of longevity.

OP
OP
CampingTahoe16

CampingTahoe16

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome! Looks great and I’ll bet you’ll enjoy the greater pulling power with this rig.

First order of business: Displacement On Demand delete. There are issues with worn camshafts with the DOD lifters. Swap them out for normal lifters and a normal cam. Lots of threads on here regarding it.

I don’t have the time currently to do the mechanical swap, so I opted to get a Range DOD delete that hooks up to the OBD port until I can get rid of the DOD.

2nd order of business: An oil catch can to prevent oil spray back into the intake. I paid $140 for one on Summit Racing, but after I learned people are getting them on EBay for $40. Put a stainless steel scrubber in there to help.

Fluids all good?

And how about a quality Ceramic Coating to protect that great paint!

Got some follow up questions on this - I just learned about the issues with the DOD or AFM (Active Fuel Management) situation and the problems that it can cause. I'm not too handy, but can learn. However this thing seems a bit much for a newbie like myself. I'm assuming a Chevy dealer would NEVER disable the AFM and set up an oil catch? Right? Maybe this is an easier adjustment than I'm anticipating but I haven't had a chance to YouTube it yet.

Thank you for the tips!