Figured out how to keep steady voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beazyva

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Read through this thread, not sure if I saw anyone that did this that has a system comment.

I upgraded the wires, new xs battery and a 2xx something amp ** alternator. I have really noticeable light flickering with bass notes. I figured my upgraded electrical would be able to handle the 1,600watt rms amp.

Has anyone with a system done this and have been problem free for a long stretch of time?

Only a few of the pictures are showing up? Can anyone post a picture of what needs to be unplugged?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Beazyva

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Read through this thread, not sure if I saw anyone that did this that has a system comment.

I upgraded the wires, new xs battery and a 2xx something amp ** alternator. I have really noticeable light flickering with bass notes. I figured my upgraded electrical would be able to handle the 1,600watt rms amp.

Has anyone with a system done this and have been problem free for a long stretch of time?

Only a few of the pictures are showing up? Can anyone post a picture of what needs to be unplugged?

Even though I never did find the plug to unplug. I have helped my light dimming.

My battery died yesterday from sitting for a week, and when I jump started it and drove it about 5 mins later I started getting the service stability trak and traction control and side zone.

I looked on YouTube and saw everyone with electrical issues were adding another ground from the grounding strap on the driver side.

I bought a 3ft(should have went shorter) 4ga ground wire from advance for $7 and went from the grounding strap bolt to the alternator bracket using one of the second battery tray bolts.

No more service messages and my lights hardly dim even playing at a higher volume. I can add a picture if it's needed, but thought I'd might throw this in here if anyone wants to try it.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my Yukon a couple of mths ago. I've mainly been working on it, not driving it, until yesterday. One of the things I've done is takeoff the original DR44 160 amp 130,000 mile alternator and put on a new amazon 160 amp alternator. When I took it out for a long hwy cruise I noticed the voltage fluctuating between 13 to 15 while driving. So I went home, put my old original back on, contacted amazon and we're doing an exchange. While I'm waiting for the exchange unit to arrive(UPS), I drove it today and noticed the same fluctuation????? Then I came here and found this thread and discovered that this fluctuation is normal. OOOPS :) Sorry amazon.
None of our other vehicles past or present do this. Its got to be ******* the Battery. I'll unplug this feature as shown in post #1 and press on. Thanks

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I came here and found this thread and discovered that this fluctuation is normal. OOOPS :) Sorry amazon.
None of our other vehicles past or present do this. Its got to be ******* the Battery. I'll unplug this feature as shown in post #1 and press on. Thanks

RVC is better for the battery than trying to jam continuous juice into it even when fully charged.

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RVC is better for the battery than trying to jam continuous juice into it even when fully charged.
But what about headlight dimming? Do yours do this? Mine still looks like a light show at a rock concert with all of the dimming.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But what about headlight dimming? Do yours do this? Mine still looks like a light show at a rock concert with all of the dimming.
how old is your battery? if the battery is not that old then maybe try grounding your headlights better (just run a ground from the frame to the headlight ground wire)

09_4WD_YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how old is your battery? if the battery is not that old then maybe try grounding your headlights better (just run a ground from the frame to the headlight ground wire)

Just changed it about a month ago. It almost seems like an alternator issue, but every time I have it checked it's ok.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just changed it about a month ago. It almost seems like an alternator issue, but every time I have it checked it's ok.
grounding the headlights to the frame may be your solution then, don't cut your factory harness just add a ground to a accessible clean spot on the frame as close as you can. use a multimeter and check to be sure you are grounding the ground wire on each side don't take it for granted that the same color wire is the ground on both sides I have seen them reversed before just a little heads up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Now that my battery is over two years old I see it happening more often. I had another vehicle with it and it flickered a lot after the first year or so.