fiatdale: Buyer Beware!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ho Down

Reaction score
Item:

MaxTrac 3/4 Drop "Brand New in the Box" purchased 10/17/13
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55039

Facts:

1) Item was shipped via UPS w/ tracking within a reasonable amount of time.
2) Coil springs were in Original packaging, Spindles were in Beltech packaging.
3) Several items missing including Instructions, Shock Extenders, and all Hardware required for installation.
4) Seller acknowledged missing items, and claimed he would send them.
5) Items never delivered.
6) Seller claimed he would pay for missing items.
7) No further follow up or contact by Seller.
8) Buyer purchased missing items required for install from Manufacturer.
9) PayPal dispute filed for cost of missing items.
10) PayPal dispute settled.

Opinion:

I bought this kit from Ryan because it was advertised as Brand New in the Box, and it was about $80 cheaper than eBay or Retail. I researched some of his other For Sale threads and bought with confidence thinking he was an established member with a good sales record. After confirming the kit part number with him, I requested his PayPal account information and he responded almost immediately. Shortly after that I received another PM requesting that I send the money as a gift. Red Flag I have bought and sold many items on the Forums, so I am aware that this is not an uncommon practice when dealing with people you know and trust. Instead, I calculated the $15 in fees and voluntarily included it with my payment. The following week he emailed me the tracking information and the packages arrived on time and undamaged. When I opened the boxes to inspect the kit, the Spindles and Springs were in new condition but the Shock Extenders and other items were missing. I emailed him the same evening, but it wasn't until the following week when he responded that he would look for the missing extenders. After several days, I had to inquire again about the missing items and he said he found them and would ship them the following day. I had to once again inquire about the shipment, and he claimed he sent them out via USPS. I found it suspicious that his email specifically stated they were shipped out with no tracking number. Red Flag Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I proceeded with the install the following weekend expecting I could finish up with the extenders when they arrived the following week. I did the install in my driveway, and left my Tahoe on jack stands expecting the extenders to arrive early in the week, about 6 days after he said he sent them. When they did not arrive, I emailed him several times asking what day they said they would be here without response. Finally, at the end of the week, he once again stated there was no tracking number and he would order them for me. Red Flag The context of his email was as if he knew they would not be delivered. By this time, I had lost all faith that he would take care of this situation. My Tahoe was on blocks in my driveway for over a week, and I needed to get it back on the ground ASAP. I ordered the extenders directly from MaxTrac and had no choice but to overnight them to my house, which cost more than the extenders themselves. I am now in this kit for $75 more than eBay/Retail, but the headache and frustration are worth far more than that. I emailed him one last time with the cost of the extenders, hoping he would make it right, but received no further response. Only after filing a PayPal dispute was this issue resolved.

Rebuttal:

I had shipped the shock extenders VIA USPS when he informed me they werent in the box. I went back and looked and they were still on the shelf, so I sent them. Once they are in USPS hands, they are out of mine. If I had kept the $9 receipt for the shipping I would gladly send you a picture of it as proof, but I didnt.

I bought this kit "Brand New in the Box". It was your responsibility to make sure that the kit you were selling was complete as advertised. I understand that sometimes things happen, but you should've sent them with tracking information as you did with the other packages. Considering the other missing items, and how the extenders were conveniently "lost" in the mail, leads me to believe you didn't have them in the first place. The fact that you offered no appologies or refund on your own accord, leads me to believe that you knew the kit was incomplete.

I don't check my email everyday and I haven't been on here in a while so I was unaware of the issue. I contacted Norcal SS on how much just extenders would cost from him and he informed me, however, LIFE got in the way and I forgot. Until I saw your paypal dispute this morning for $60 is when I reacted. I refunded you the $60 you requested this morning so there should not be any more issue. I've helped out several members on this forum and they can verify that I will take care of things when asked.

Interesting how fast you checked your email/PM's when I asked for your PayPal info...

You were completely aware of the issue. I repeatedly asked you to "take care of things" but you didn't. I believe you were trying to stall and delay in an attempt to surpass the PayPal dispute period. I gave you several opportunities to remedy the situation, but it seems life got it the way and you forgot. It was hard for me to forget seeing my Tahoe on blocks in my driveway everyday.

Per your request. I would advise to be more patient with people who do not check their email everyday before requesting a full refund when you have 90% of what you purchased. I'm not a department store.

Thanks for the advice.

But for the record, I did not order a kit that was 90% complete, and I did not request a full refund. I only requested a refund for the missing items required for install. I was VERY patient with you and gave you multiple chances to show some honesty and integrity to rectify this situation, but you chose not to.

I will admit that I write this novel with a little bit of spite. I don't like being taken advantage of, and I don't like snotty comments from people who are clearly in the wrong. But mostly I write this in an effort to save the next "Newb" from the frustration of dealing with these kind of situations.

Always use PayPal

Last edited:

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
This could go back and forth of who is in the right and who wasn't, but in the end, I gave you what you had asked for. Paypal had put a -$499 balance on my account, which is something my wife had noticed, otherwise I probably wouldn't have resolved it so quickly.

Red flagging me for having you send the money as a gift shouldn't be a red flag. Its to save fees. Period. To keep some money in our pockets rather than Elon's. The same time you sent your money and I shipped the drop, another member sent money for a steering wheel (which was given away, he only paid shipping, I do help other members on here) was sent as a gift... to save fees.

Red flag for shipping USPS mail, which doesn't provide a tracking number? I ship about a dozen things every month, and I would say 10% of them each year don't make it to their destination. Was it insured? No, that's my bad. Is it my loss? Yes, because not only were the extenders MIA, I also refunded you the $60 for them.

I'm sorry you were the one who had the bad experience in this, but I did give you what you had asked for and made the situation right, rather than completely blow you off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33