FI or crate

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote Forced Induction....blown 5.3 will make more power everywhere vs a 6.2, and this is coming from someone who bought a crate LS3 and swapped it for a 5.3...really you cant go wrong either way but if you could drive a supercharged 5.3 and a 6.2 back to back I think the blower would sell it self

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I vote Forced Induction....blown 5.3 will make more power everywhere vs a 6.2, and this is coming from someone who bought a crate LS3 and swapped it for a 5.3...really you cant go wrong either way but if you could drive a supercharged 5.3 and a 6.2 back to back I think the blower would sell it self
100% agree if he has the budget. I should have qualified my thoughts as being about bang for the buck. For a grand he can put in a cam that'll make that 5.3 feel like a stock 6.2 and not require any other mods to the cooling system or transmission. But it'll cost $6-8K for a supercharger PLUS injectors, cooling mods, everything he'll need for keeping it cool when towing.

jmil1974

Reaction score
Next time, give your current engine, driving habits/mileage, and budget. Without that, this is all just ******* in the wind/mental ************. Finally got that it's a 5.3 but still no mileage driven monthly/annually or budget. So having to pick the best for the most without that info: go get a low mile LS3+trans from a Chevy SS OR just the LS3 and refresh your trans, drop in with headers, tune, go. Then add the blower later.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next time, give your current engine, driving habits/mileage, and budget. Without that, this is all just ******* in the wind/mental ************. Finally got that it's a 5.3 but still no mileage driven monthly/annually or budget. So having to pick the best for the most without that info: go get a low mile LS3+trans from a Chevy SS OR just the LS3 and refresh your trans, drop in with headers, tune, go. Then add the blower later.
Easy there killer!

Don't you understand that our job is help others spend their money by helping them rationalize the decision to go big?

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local shop here quoted about 5k for the trans rebuild;
Precision tc, billet cover & intermediate, sonnax pump and pressure relief valve, gpz456 (backordered), boost valve, slide spring, etc etc. Said he has alto clutch packs in stock but would rather use the raybestos stuff.

Now to dig through the avalanche of info for which mechanical dod delete kit I'd want with a boost cam and price that out. All preliminary and exploratory, of course.

Anyone have a company they'd recommend? Brian Tooley? Texas speed? Ams? So many choices...

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Local shop here quoted about 5k for the trans rebuild;
Precision tc, billet cover & intermediate, sonnax pump and pressure relief valve, gpz456 (backordered), boost valve, slide spring, etc etc. Said he has alto clutch packs in stock but would rather use the raybestos stuff.

Now to dig through the avalanche of info for which mechanical dod delete kit I'd want with a boost cam and price that out. All preliminary and exploratory, of course.

Anyone have a company they'd recommend? Brian Tooley? Texas speed? Ams? So many choices...
Cam Motion grinds many of the cams for Brian Tooley and others, and in my experience there is wisdom in talking to the experts in the item that is closest to the core of your performance plan - the cam. If you call them and tell them what you want to do and what your priorities are, they can recommend one of their grinds for you. From there, you can go to any of the others for the other parts you'll need to complete the job.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a preferred vendor for the supercharger kit? Whipple or Maggie but probably a complete whipple kit.

All the whole kits for the whipple online are the same and same cost of about 7k so might as well get from someone here if makes sense. Sure would be nice to find them at 2 years ago price lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a preferred vendor for the supercharger kit? Whipple or Maggie but probably a complete whipple kit.

All the whole kits for the whipple online are the same and same cost of about 7k so might as well get from someone here if makes sense. Sure would be nice to find them at 2 years ago price lol
I bought my Whipple from Blackbear but I think the best vendor would be the least expensive you can find. I don’t think BB is any cheaper than the rest. And 2 years ago they were still over 6k.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I checked on bb site and they are same price as all other vendors.

I swear I was finding 1k cheaper off the hit. But, my memory could be telling lies.

OP
OP
Drwinlied

Drwinlied

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife reminded me that I can buy any car I want if other things are paid off...REALLY struggling with purchase decisions right now. Plus found a suspect vendor with the whipple 2.3 kit with a great mday discount...which isn't helping. I feel like Cadet Stimpy trying to hold out from pushing the red button. THE JOLLY RED, CANDY-LIKE BUTTON.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts