Feels like I got hit in the REAR when I brake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I brake hard, I feel a slight delay reaction where it feels like I got hit in the back or like the rest of my car just caught up or something. I'll check the motor mounts again but it feels like its coming from rear. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Jaytizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue.

Does your RPM jump up a little as well and then go back down?

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed all 4 brake pads at the same time 2 weeks ago but this has been happening before that. I am wondering about the U-joint. I have a slow leak of tranny fluid and I seen a video where someone showed it coming from U joint but because of angle, it drips near oil pan giving the idea its oil pan leak when it isnt. Looking up some videos to test the U joint. I never drive in anything other than 2WD nowadays. I always thought its impact would be when in Auto or 4WD.

I'm not sure what slack in the drivetrain would be. Bad tranny mount?

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The torque converter locking or unlocking strangely could also cause what feels like slack. Kind of like that oscillation you can set up if you lay off the gas quickly in a low gear on a manual transmission vehicle.

Those would be my first two culprits - U joints or torque converter.

OP
OP
M

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes my rpm's definitely jump. I took a video where I braked hard twice and seen the rpm's jump a little. This doesnt happen under normal braking, only hard braking. New torque converter needed?

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it neutral and brake hard see if its still there....maybe its a harsh downshift, not like a kickdown downshift with throttle though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9