Feels lazy off the line… torque management?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LM7Tahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
‘01 Tahoe, LM7 5.3. Stock except for a flowmaster, intake tube resonator delete, and windowed air box. No codes, idles perfectly smooth. Just doesn’t pull off the line but wakes up around 3k rpm or so… almost acts like it’s got too big of a cam except for the super smooth idle. If I’m doing around 25 mph and floor it the trans downshifts and it pulls great. I’m thinking it’s just the torque management? If that’s the case I’ll just live with it because I don’t feel like exploding the trans or the gov-bomb…

I’ve worked on plenty of LS powered trucks and SUVs, but I’ve never driven a customers car anywhere near as hard as I drive my own stuff so I don’t have a good reference point for WOT performance…

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
Can you see what your max maf reading is holding wide open just before it up shifts?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
Sounds like a typical 5.3 to me. Kind of lazy in the low revs.

OP
OP
L

LM7Tahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I took an opportunity to get out of turning wrenches for a living a couple years ago so I don’t have access to a scan tool anymore… I’ve thought about getting a Bluetooth OBD adapter and an app for my iPhone but haven’t done it yet…

It doesn’t feel like anything is wrong, there’s no stumble or hesitation, it just feels like it picks up a bit of power around 3,000 rpm…

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sure would help to know the gear ratio. Also, is this all of a sudden or has always been that way?

GU4=3.08 gears

GU6=3.42 gears, sounds like you may have this gear, but hell I don't know.

GT4=3.73 gears, I love this ratio but mine is a 3.42 gear

GT5=4.10 gears

OP
OP
L

LM7Tahoe01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It has 3.73’s. Relatively recent purchase, I haven’t put a lot of miles on it yet, but the performance has been the same as long as I’ve had it. It does have just over 200,000 on the odometer…

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has 3.73’s. Relatively recent purchase, I haven’t put a lot of miles on it yet, but the performance has been the same as long as I’ve had it. It does have just over 200,000 on the odometer…
You’re just describing any ls truck or suv that’s stock. A tune would help but if you’ve driven anything ls that’s not a truck, they’ll just feel like turds lol

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My 02 with 3.73 gears ran great and I loved it's power/torque. Have you checked for back pressure at the catalytic converters? Fuel pressure efficiency? I am just throwing to see what sticks. Age of ignition components? Fuel filter age?

ks03

Fool Excess Member
Reaction score
If you brake torque it, is it easy to hold back, stumbles, where it doesn’t really matter if you give it 1/4 throttle or full.
Can you make it do a lame burn out, or does it fall on its face without spinning a tire?

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
To me sounds like it’s doing what it’s suppose to in stock form. These GM vehicles run pig rich from factory in power enrichment. So anytime you lean into it it’s gonna feel like there’s so much more to be desired and there is. A lot more. Tuning is hands down the best investment you will ever do to your vehicle.
When most hear, “tune” they think high performance, pushing the limits of what the engine can do. So far from the truth. Tuning is just dialing in. GM sells vehicles everywhere and they have to be conservative on tuning. “Dialing in” your engine will give you more power but also give you better fuel efficiency because that’s all your really doing with a tune is getting better volumetric efficiency out of the air pump under the hood you call your engine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons