Feeling Accomplished

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!
I also use planned car repair projects as therapy; you get a great sense of accomplishment and you can leverage off of your successes and failures too. Next time try something harder or outside of your immediate comfort zone.
My favorite line to use when considering doing a job myself or not is
"....these guys aren't smarter than I am, they just have experience.
My secret is that they aren't smarter than me with this whole Forum standing behind me!
Tbruz

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I have been working on my cars for over 20 years now. This one was just a huge accomplishment more so due to other activities. I have a garage full of tools I have used once or twice, and justified purchasing them based on how much I was saving not going to the shop.

Most of the time it is a relaxing hobby. But with all of the other stress going on lately it hasn't been as therapeutic. Hoping it gets back to that some day.

Squirrelsmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't use energy suspension polyurithane when you rebuild the front end. i made that mistake

rchurch5945

Reaction score
Squirrelsmith - why do you say not to use Energy Suspension poly bushings? I just rebuilt my front suspension and used them. I hope I didn't mess up! I used plenty of lube and have about 2000 miles on it and so far so good.

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at Rock Auto they have some kits. But I'll probably end up going with mostly Moog parts. Have used a lot of their stuff and always find it to be good quality.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Orange57 is your Tahoe 4WD?
Did you need to jack up the engine to get out the oil pan for the gasket replacement or is there enough room to drop the pan.
Staring at a oil pan gasket replacement myself and I'm not 100% sure I personally want to tackle it.
Thanks
Tbruz

OP
OP
O

orange57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is RWD. I still had to jack the engine a couple inches to get the pan out. Was pretty easy to do. The bolts for the motor mounts came out easily and lifted it to slide things in and out.

I hear it is more involved for 4wd. It's not the worst job, but I feel is still a pretty big one compared to other oil pans I have done.

Tbruz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Orange. Mine is 4WD and I'm not feeling the desire to do this one myself.
Tbruz

EDIT: my mechanic charged me 5 hours labor to do this; I had the oil cooler lines replaced at the same time so that may have added an extra .5 hour. I found this pretty reasonable.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Georgia 4Low