1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling Accomplished

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by orange57, Nov 15, 2020.

1. Tbruz

Tbruz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    Congrats!
    I also use planned car repair projects as therapy; you get a great sense of accomplishment and you can leverage off of your successes and failures too. Next time try something harder or outside of your immediate comfort zone.
    My favorite line to use when considering doing a job myself or not is
    "....these guys aren't smarter than I am, they just have experience.
    My secret is that they aren't smarter than me with this whole Forum standing behind me!
    Tbruz

2. orange57

orange57 Full Access Member

Name:
    Matthew
    Oh yeah. I have been working on my cars for over 20 years now. This one was just a huge accomplishment more so due to other activities. I have a garage full of tools I have used once or twice, and justified purchasing them based on how much I was saving not going to the shop.

Most of the time it is a relaxing hobby. But with all of the other stress going on lately it hasn't been as therapeutic. Hoping it gets back to that some day.

Joseph Garcia and wjburken like this.
  3. Squirrelsmith

Squirrelsmith Full Access Member

Name:
    Kevan
    don't use energy suspension polyurithane when you rebuild the front end. i made that mistake

4. rchurch5945

rchurch5945 Member

Name:
    Randall
    Squirrelsmith - why do you say not to use Energy Suspension poly bushings? I just rebuilt my front suspension and used them. I hope I didn't mess up! I used plenty of lube and have about 2000 miles on it and so far so good.

5. orange57

Name:
    Matthew
    Looking at Rock Auto they have some kits. But I'll probably end up going with mostly Moog parts. Have used a lot of their stuff and always find it to be good quality.

6. Tbruz

Tbruz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    Orange57 is your Tahoe 4WD?
    Did you need to jack up the engine to get out the oil pan for the gasket replacement or is there enough room to drop the pan.
    Staring at a oil pan gasket replacement myself and I'm not 100% sure I personally want to tackle it.
    Thanks
    Tbruz

7. orange57

Name:
    Matthew
    Mine is RWD. I still had to jack the engine a couple inches to get the pan out. Was pretty easy to do. The bolts for the motor mounts came out easily and lifted it to slide things in and out.

I hear it is more involved for 4wd. It's not the worst job, but I feel is still a pretty big one compared to other oil pans I have done.

8. Tbruz

Tbruz Full Access Member

Name:
    Tony
    Thanks Orange. Mine is 4WD and I'm not feeling the desire to do this one myself.
    Tbruz