Fed up with 5.3 Oil Consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EddieC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have not noticed my 2008 with over 100,000 ever being down between changes and I don't baby it.

Our 2003 vette was a whole different story and they knew about bad rings but I wasn't about to have a dealer mechanic ripping into pur engine. I didn't keep it long enough to have it bother me much though. It had the tenancy of encouraging adolescent behavior.

I has a Yamaha DT bike that was bad from the start. Some would attribute smoke to two strokes but when I changed the rings at 3000 miles it cleaned right up.

I've had similar experiences with different chainsaws. Some smoke and some don't.

The lesson to me is that sometimes you get a fluke that needs dealing with but it usually it can be resolved for a happy ending.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is my thoughts, if it's not something simple like a catch can or valve cover/pcv issue or even the oil pan gasket.
sometimes the rear main which runs say $600 to fix,
a engine tear down to address minor internal oil consumption cost what ?? lets say minimum $1k but probably more...
so lets do a little math, let's say the average price of 1qt of oil is $8.50 and you add 1 qt every 5000 miles you would have to drive 585,000 miles to break even with a $1000 dollar engine repair to address a small oil consumption issue.

OP
OP
B

Brian1133

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone! So I checked out CrazedPerformanceRacing and they are very informative and I downloaded the link for the valve replacement including the afm on the oil pan, I'' have to get that till spring.
Btw, i used the Daiblo tuner and I love driving in V8 mode all the time. I did the 87 octane tune for a few days and did the 93 this morning. Just drove in the city today but will do highway later.
Brian

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1/8 quart for 300 miles is not bad at all, 2400 miles for a quart, almost 5000 miles before your light would tell you low oil.

For my 2007 I was getting about 2 quarts low for 3000 miles, the light would come on "Low Oil Level" and I would add 2 quarts. Basically every 1500 miles would be a quart, or 700 miles a pint, which is way worse than what you are getting.
I changed my valve cover, (you should have the new one), and I disabled the DOD AFM via the RANGE Device that plugs into my OBD2 port. I am now a quart low at 5000 miles, I drive my truck about 600 miles a week (yes I fill it up twice a week normally) and I am currently on my way back from the moon. About 235,000 miles.

Keep in mind, At one time GM said 1 Quart per 1000 miles is not severe oil consumption and within normal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094