Fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

79NJmet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello new to site, looking forward to this but i do need help.
2004 yukon denali xl having a mechanical radiator fan issue.

Seems to me the fan shouldnt sound so loud right out of the gate, but it does.

So i will start it up, cold start, sat over night could be any season, winter summer, still below say 70 degrees.
Everything sounds and looks normal, back out the drive get in the street, put it in drive and never fails this truck will sound like a bus, fan is screaming like its running hot.

I dont let the vehicle warm up, probably 2 minutes at idle, enough to get the kids buckled in. Gages or gauges how ever it is spelled are good not reading hot, trans temp is still sitting on the lowest setting and i dont think the eng temp has risen yet.

Water pump, fan clutch, thermostat have been changed.

Only other thing i can say is when i have reached full eng temp and trans temp when sitting at idle in a parking lot with ac on the truck will start to run hot, engine will read 210, 220, 240 so i shut off the ac and rev it in park and it cools down, but if the trans is below 150 it wont do that.

Its a tricky case, but im really dieing for help, thank you for reading.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
When you pull out of the drive and the fan is screaming, pull over and stop the engine. Try to spin the fan blades with your hand; you should feel a little resistance but the blades should turn fairly easy. If they are stuck then the fan clutch (new or not) is probably defective or the wrong one for the truck.

You can do that test cold, without starting, and the fan blades should move fairly easily. Once the thermostat in the fan clutch warms up it should engage the fan clutch and lock the blades.

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The noise at startup is normal, but you shouldn't have to rev the engine for it to engage at idle as that is when it's supposed to be working. If you're in high temps and you often sit at idle with AC you might consider a heavy duty fan clutch or an electric fan set up.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

I'm thinking along the lines of what @Tonyrodz suggested - fan clutch.

Other folks will chime in.

OP
OP

79NJmet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So the fan is tight and that is after driving bout 20 miles highway 200 trans temp and 207 or whatever normal engine temp is.
Fan wont spin at all freely, should this be the case at normal temp i havent had a chance at the discribed problem, i drive the truck home with the kids. I swap cars at shift change so it was already normal temps.

OP
OP

79NJmet

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you to all that have helped, i was wondering if i had got a garbage fan clutch from autozone, looks like i did.

ROGELIO A GUZMAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same issue. It was my fan clutch. I drove it and it was fine. When I stopped it would start over heating and ac would push hot air. Trans would go past 200 and temp like 230. Once I replaced the fan clutch ,it all started to cool down. I got a o'reilly brand . Also got the severe duty. Thanks to all the guys in the forums my XL is running nice and cool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14