Factory Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott53

Reaction score
Took delivery of my 2021 Tahoe LT with 20" wheels on September 29. My Tahoe came equipped with Continental Eco tires. My guess is the tread design and compound are designed for gas mileage. I live in SW PA. It is a very hilly terrain with a lot of winding roads. Today we've got 8" of snow on the ground and it's still snowing. Tried Tahoe out in heavy wet snow for first time. In 4WD it climbed hills great. Turning and stopping was another story. Terrible! It would not turn and stopping took a lot of pre planning. I've been driving in snow for over 50 years. I've owned a 4WD since 1977. My previous SUV was a 2012 Yukon with Michelin LTX AT tires. Never a problem in heavy snow. On Monday I'm having four Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed. I'm not taking the risk of wreaking my new Tahoe because of summer Eco tires.

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Took delivery of my 2021 Tahoe on September 29. My Tahoe came equipped with Continental Eco tires. My guess is the tread design and compound are designed for gas mileage. I live in SW PA. It is a very hilly terrain with a lot of winding roads. Today we've got 8" of snow on the ground and it's still snowing. Tried Tahoe out in heavy wet snow for first time. In 4WD it climbed hills great. Turning and stopping was another story. Terrible! It would not turn and stopping took a lot of pre planning. I've been driving in snow for over 50 years. I've owned a 4WD since 1977. My previous SUV was a 2012 Yukon with Michelin LTX AT tires. Never a problem in heavy snow. On Monday I'm having four Michelin Defender LTX M/S installed. I'm not taking the risk of wreaking my new Tahoe because of summer Eco tires.
If possible I'd try to get some other rims to mount those winter tires on, so you have a nice summer set waiting for you in the spring. Michelins are great tires.

OP
OP
S

scott53

Reaction score
Good advice. An old high school friend owns the local tire shop. He gives me a great deal on mounting and balancing. I plan to put the Continentals back on in the spring. As soon as I wear out the Eco's it's Michelins all year around.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If possible I'd try to get some other rims to mount those winter tires on, so you have a nice summer set waiting for you in the spring. Michelins are great tires.

Those aren't "Winter " tires. The are just pretty decent all weather tires from Michelin that wear like iron...
If the OP really wants to fix his problem, he'd get a set of Blizzaks on some cheap rims and save those eco's for summer where they will perform adequately...
When vehicle of this size wants to go straight and you want it to turn in snow, sorry, but it's gonna go straight. Its all about mass and inertia...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those aren't "Winter " tires. The are just pretty decent all weather tires from Michelin that wear like iron...
If the OP really wants to fix his problem, he'd get a set of Blizzaks on some cheap rims and save those eco's for summer where they will perform adequately...
When vehicle of this size wants to go straight and you want it to turn in snow, sorry, but it's gonna go straight. Its all about mass and inertia...
You are correct in that the defender LTX is not a true “winter tire”. However I’ve had a set of them mounted on my 20inch wheels, and I live in a ski town in the mountains where we see substantial amounts of snow all winter long. When I ran the defender tire I never once had a problem in the snow. Never slid through and missed a stop or a turn. Michelin just makes good tires and the defender can hold its own in the snow. Would the blizzaks be the best snow, tire... probably... but the OP will be just fine on the Michelin defender tires.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced when new the contis on every Tahoe and suburban I’ve had. (6 or so). I’ve put the ltx defender m/s, ms2 or some variant. I was out today driving through 10” of snow. I’m in eastern pa. These tires are incredible. If they are not true winter tires, I wonder what more a winter tire could do better. And I run them year round.
It took 25” of snow to stop me (a few years ago)

I just ordered a 21 Tahoe. I labored over deciding between 20 & 22 inch wheels for weeks. I was changing my mind daily because the Michelin’s are not available in the 22’s and I really like the Texas edition wheels. I’m hoping Michelin makes the ms2 available or I’m going to be looking for a set of 20” rims

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replaced when new the contis on every Tahoe and suburban I’ve had. (6 or so). I’ve put the ltx defender m/s, ms2 or some variant. I was out today driving through 10” of snow. I’m in eastern pa. These tires are incredible. If they are not true winter tires, I wonder what more a winter tire could do better. And I run them year round.
It took 25” of snow to stop me (a few years ago)

I just ordered a 21 Tahoe. I labored over deciding between 20 & 22 inch wheels for weeks. I was changing my mind daily because the Michelin’s are not available in the 22’s and I really like the Texas edition wheels. I’m hoping Michelin makes the ms2 available or I’m going to be looking for a set of 20” rims
For Michelin, the LTX A/T2 is the “true winter tire” which it isn’t really a true winter tire either. lol. But it’s still an amazing tire. I’m on my second set of this tire and absolutely love them. Run them year round as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts