Factory skid plates installed on 2015 Tahoe LT (GM # 23176881)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they will need to be removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I pulled them. I figured they were only braces for the plastic skid. I did have one bolt striyped out and missing prior to my install. Figured I'd do these while changing oil. Learned a valuable lesson... The oil shoots out way further than any of my other GM vehicles. All my tools are well lubricated though.. Along with my arm and arm pit lol.

Any suggestions on stopped bolt? Go larger, helicoil or jb?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

nglauer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the front two pieces available if interested. Send me a PM.

Did you install something different? Which pieces do you have?

cmatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you install something different? Which pieces do you have?

I traded it in. So off they came to go to a good home. I cleaned them up and used a polishing soap. Lol, looks better than when I got them new from the dealer. The smaller black piece for the transfer case stayed with the vehicle. If memory serves, you need two additional bolts to use with the 6 that hold the OE black plastic splash shield. I have those.

18f759f62aee04880e685548ad87df10.jpg

R Black

Reaction score
There are 3 pieces, not necessarily considered a set, I have them on my 18 Silverado with a 4/6 drop, the drop does not matter, a lift would matter because generally with a lift the front differential is relocated so it would not fit on a lift which is also why most lift kits come with there own version of a skid plate.
and to answer the previous question these are "skid" plates, meaning if you hit something while "moving" they are stout enough and strong enough to work as designed "to skid you across" and not damage or crack the differential case, oil pan, etc..
I realize this thread is stale but I'm going to have to respectfully 'cry foul' on this one, unless the aluminum is at least 3/8" thick it isn't going to do diddly, it's not going to "skid you across". These are stone shields at best.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize this thread is stale but I'm going to have to respectfully 'cry foul' on this one, unless the aluminum is at least 3/8" thick it isn't going to do diddly, it's not going to "skid you across". These are stone shields at best.
I guess it depends on how fast you are going and what you hit. I took out a stop sign with mine and it didn't even leave a mark
momentum -vs- blunt impact produce different results
the whole point of having a skid plate is for it to absorb most of the impact and not crack your differential or transfer case, the aluminum casting is different in the skid plate versus your differential casting, the skid plate will bend and is pliable, the differential aluminum is not pliable and will simply crack
I don't claim to be any kind of expert but I am pretty sure if you are traveling 50mph and hit a stump at just the right height you will just lift and go over it with the skid plate (likely with some damage), versus no skid plate and the impact just breaks a chunk off your differential or cracks it in half.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094