Factory remote start, alarm goes off in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I realized that my rear window defogger cable came off the glass recently so I'm going to repair that and see if it doesn't resolve my issue, I can't remember the timing of it but my issue started I believe around the time the cable came off the glass. Will keep updated. Thanks for that post 300WeatherbyMag!

The system IS using the rear defroster wiring as the breakage sensor, that could be the issue.

300WeatherbyMag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:

My issue appears to be resolved (fingers crossed), but I'll note that the temperature outside has been above 50 degrees while doing my work the past day. I will re-test when the temps drop again.

Here's a batch of things I did (sorry, I didn't test before/after each one, I'm writing them all down since I don't know which may have potentially fixed the issue):

I suspect if my issue is really resolved, one of these items did it:
- I found a break in one of the grids of my rear defogger, and repaired it with Permatex Rear Window Defogger Repair. It was the top line of the grid, damaged by whatever plastic tool was used to scrape the tint off (see my earlier thread).
- I used the same Permatex to repair the break in my driver's side rear quarter panel window's glass break sensor. I only repaired continuity, I did not try for any particular resistance (note that I have no clue if the sensor works by simply checking continuity, or if it's more advanced)
- I replaced the CR2032 (ie "coin battery") in both key fobs.

Other stuff for completeness:
- I pulled out and re-inserted the rear defogger relay ("1") and the glass break micro fuse ("6") in the rear compartment fuse block (see the manual for the diagram showing where they are), thinking maybe there was a loose connection
- I sprayed water in the wheel wells, and under the vehicle (I was cleaning off sand/salt from a recent trip) fairly thoroughly
- I filled the gas tank

I'll also note that when the problem was occurring, the alarm would sound at the exact time that the light in the center of the top of the dash would go from solid red to flashing, which I believe is exactly when the delay finishes after you hit the arm button but before the motion/glass break/tilt sensors get activated. Mine resulted in 28 beeps/siren sounds/light flashing (see the technical bulletin I posted earlier that talks about the importance of the number of beeps).

300WeatherbyMag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
:(

35 degrees today, alarm went off after the 10 minute timeout of the remote start. Argh.

dkman610 - any update on your issue after the rear defogger cable fix?

300WeatherbyMag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update:

I replaced my hood latch and ajar switch (Lock Assembly - 84065955), as well as the overhead console motion sensor (Motion Sensor/Theft Deterrent - 13576936). (yes, I'm wasteful)

Problem persists - cold day.

chame1eon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bringing this back up from the dead, I too have a 2015 Yukon Denali and after the 10min are up the alarm goes off.. and yes it is cold now when it happens, have the truck for a week so hasnt been warm to test the weather theory. hopefully whoever had issues found some solutions by now?

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Low Battery Voltage.

Either get a new Battery, or get a CTEK and let it charge until the CTEK says it's done.

chame1eon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hmm.. just got my truck from a private dealer that did new brakes and a brand new battery from what I can tell, dated 7/18 on what seems to be the biggest AC Delco that can fit in that space. Also how can voltage affect this since the truck has run for 10min already. A battery's job is strictly start the truck, after it's running it's all up to the alternator..

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also how can voltage affect this since the truck has run for 10min already. A battery's job is strictly start the truck, after it's running it's all up to the alternator..

Ever disconnect a battery from a running car (let alone, one loaded with "control" modules)? Doesn't work that way.

And, others are just reporting what has been done and what works. Why? Who knows?

Mad Maxx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm.. just got my truck from a private dealer that did new brakes and a brand new battery from what I can tell, dated 7/18 on what seems to be the biggest AC Delco that can fit in that space. Also how can voltage affect this since the truck has run for 10min already. A battery's job is strictly start the truck, after it's running it's all up to the alternator..

Battery could have a dead Cell in it, or more.

Low Voltage or not enough Current causes all kids of issues in Vehicles these days.

Especially extreme cold or warm temps.

300WeatherbyMag

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I disagree that the problem is the battery.

When diagnosing my problem last winter (2017), one of the first things I did was test the existing battery with a voltmeter. Volts never dropped below reasonable levels upon starting the vehicle (or remote starting it).

All the same, I replaced the battery with a AutoCraft Platinum H7 850CCA from Autozone. Voltage testing improved marginally, likely because my prior battery was fine. Additionally, I hard wired a NOCO Genius 4 amp 1 bank charger into the engine bay, and kept the vehicle plugged in to power every single time I parked it outside my garage.

The problem persisted despite the upgrade to the battery as well as making sure charge was properly maintained (overkill, as this is a daily driver that goes for 40-minute drives every weekday morning and afternoon, with longer ones on weekends...absolutely no reason to require a charger).

I found a workaround to the alarm sounding:

Perform the normal remote start. This is achieved by arming the alarm and pressing the remote start button. Once the Yukon turns on, I press the unlock button on the fob. I have not had the alarm sound after the remote start using this method. I don't like that my car is sitting outside with doors unlocked, but at least I'm not waking up my neighbors.

There is some sort of issue with the car alarm getting tripped at the exact moment the remote start 10-minute timer ends and the engine shuts off. Maybe a vibration, or some other electrical gremlin. I'm not sure - but I'm done trying to find it after all the stuff I tried in this thread ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC