Factory remote start, alarm goes off in winter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Yukon Denali, once we started to get the below 32f outside temp my factory car alarm goes off when using remote start? It has been fine for over 2 years just started this year.

I have disconnected battery
Followed all the steps in the manual for remote start.

I have also noticed the heated seat when using remote start does not appear to work and auto folding mirrors are not working ( both are programmed on in the settings)

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Dealer said they have never heard of it and there is no TSB that they could find. The car is not covered under warranty any longer.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did the dealer hook the truck up to their MDI-GDS2 equipment and see if anything was amiss? The one thing these all have in common is the BCM, Body Control Module. It may need replacing.

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have not had it hooked up to the machine at the dealer when I called them they had said they never heard of this happening.

It will be a next step for sure if nobody in the forum has had the same issue.

Thank you for the idea and equipment suggestion, its appreciated.

Greez82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have noticed the same issues with my 15 ltz burb. We have only had it for 2 weeks. Alarm has gone off a couple times when cold. If you press unlock it stops. I have also noticed the seat heaters aren’t turning on. Hopefully dealer can fix

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have noticed the same issues with my 15 ltz burb. We have only had it for 2 weeks. Alarm has gone off a couple times when cold. If you press unlock it stops. I have also noticed the seat heaters aren’t turning on. Hopefully dealer can fix

I had my seat heaters replaced under warranty last year but the issue still persists. They claim they have reduced the amount of heat allowed on the heats during remote start but we still feel nothing in remote start, but they are super hot under a normal on operation once the vehicle is running.

Thanks for your reply. 6 months ago I had an air conditioning leak which the dealer had said they had not heard of, I called GM and opened a case as the truck only had about 50,000 miles on it ( I also have a 2003 GM vehicle with 200,000 miles and have never had an AC leak) then the dealer replaced it for free under "goodwill". 3 months later a full recall came out on the AC units as they were defective. My point of the story is that I suspect this remote / alarm issue and heated seats are another recall about to be discovered.

Keep me posted on anything you find out!

OP
OP
James 2018 Yukon

James 2018 Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did the dealer hook the truck up to their MDI-GDS2 equipment and see if anything was amiss? The one thing these all have in common is the BCM, Body Control Module. It may need replacing.

I did take it to my local dealer, they claimed there was no code for the alarm, verbally said there were some old low voltage codes but did not write them down and indicated there was an old code for the service 4wd message. They claim the BCM is fine. It appears they disconnected the battery and cleared old codes...charged me 315 dollars. The alarm issue went away for 2 days ( it was a little warmer out) but yesterday it was -6f and the alarm went off on the first start in the morning. The service 4wd message came on briefly. I have a decent obd code reader so I hooked it up and there were no codes or messages...makes me think the BCM is either temperature sensitive or a defect.

Called the owner of the dealership as the service reps would not let me speak to the mechanic and advised the dealer I want a more detailed explanation of what the mechanic did and any actual code values. Poor service from the dealer for sure.

Still a mystery at this point...and 300 wasted dollars later.

Deepthought

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 15 Denali, with the optional, self-powered alarm. Mine was also alarming when remote starting on cold mornings. It also seemed a little sluggish on cranking. I suspected that a weak vehicle battery which could not maintain a respectable voltage was causing the alarm system is to think the vehicle battery got disconnected. Had the dealer load check the vehicle battery and it failed, battery replaced. I have now remote stared the truck on four consecutive single digit mornings, and no alarm.

Hope this helps

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did take it to my local dealer, they claimed there was no code for the alarm, verbally said there were some old low voltage codes but did not write them down and indicated there was an old code for the service 4wd message. They claim the BCM is fine. It appears they disconnected the battery and cleared old codes...charged me 315 dollars. The alarm issue went away for 2 days ( it was a little warmer out) but yesterday it was -6f and the alarm went off on the first start in the morning. The service 4wd message came on briefly. I have a decent obd code reader so I hooked it up and there were no codes or messages...makes me think the BCM is either temperature sensitive or a defect.

Called the owner of the dealership as the service reps would not let me speak to the mechanic and advised the dealer I want a more detailed explanation of what the mechanic did and any actual code values. Poor service from the dealer for sure.

Still a mystery at this point...and 300 wasted dollars later.
if it is not a weak battery as the following person commented I would go right back to the dealer and insist that they keep digging, if they say they are unable to recreate the same problem then let them keep it and try it themselves when it is as cold as it has been. I don't know but sometimes you just have to put your foot down these dealers just want to do the jobs that make them money so if they have to actually do "Work" there not usually as inclined to do so.

Greez82

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 15 Denali, with the optional, self-powered alarm. Mine was also alarming when remote starting on cold mornings. It also seemed a little sluggish on cranking. I suspected that a weak vehicle battery which could not maintain a respectable voltage was causing the alarm system is to think the vehicle battery got disconnected. Had the dealer load check the vehicle battery and it failed, battery replaced. I have now remote stared the truck on four consecutive single digit mornings, and no alarm.

Hope this helps

Just had our battery replaced and seems to of fixed the issue as well.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
James, hopefully this is the answer. A dead cell with slightly lower voltage will cause really weird issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep