Factory mic with aftermarket HU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just Deleted my phone from the oem bluetooth and my pioneer still works 100% with the onstar mic. Only thing I don't have now is the talk button on the steering wheel but the pioneer has very large buttons for that and my phone rings through my car speakers. The 8500 also has a button to press for Siri to work through the onstar mic and car speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh. So you don't have a mic plugged into rear on 8500 at all? Only the axxess harness and onstar mic works just fine? Since you unpaired your phone from stock BT, if someone would call you now, only 8500 should ring and not the stock BT from my understanding. Wtf mine does not work. May be i need to update by adbox1 as i also have an issue with back up sensors (metra says i need to update) when i back up, instead of steady tone once very close to an object, the beeping just goes away.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no mic plugged in whatsoever. Using the onstar/bluetooth mic only. My reverse sensors work but they are always kinda spotty as you're describing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might need to update your software as well. Waiting on usb-cab cable to arrive and hopefully it will fix the issue with backup sensors. I don't get why my mic doesn't work than but then i really understand why it would if 8500 only has mic plug and nothing in the harness itself that has anything to do with the mic. Are you sure that you actually talking to onstar mic rather than your phone's mic since it is very close to you when you speak? Hit me up via PM so admins don't get mad. Appreciate your help. I dont know how you live with your unit shutting off and not muting. Resistors will def fix it.

Last edited:

d3adpool

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You might need to update your software as well. Waiting on usb-cab cable to arrive and hopefully it will fix the issue with backup sensors. I don't get why my mic doesn't work than but then i really understand why it would if 8500 only has mic plug and nothing in the harness itself that has anything to do with the mic. Are you sure that you actually talking to onstar mic rather than your phone's mic since it is very close to you when you speak? Hit me up via PM so admins don't get mad. Appreciate your help. I dont know how you live with your unit shutting off and not muting. Resistors will def fix it.

Did you ever get this figured out? I have been wondering if this is even possible.

mattjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Tahoes come with the factory mic if they didn't come with Bluetooth? I'm getting ready to upgrade my head unit and am hoping there is a mic built in for Onstar that I can use rather than installing a new one somewhere

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Tahoes come with the factory mic if they didn't come with Bluetooth? I'm getting ready to upgrade my head unit and am hoping there is a mic built in for Onstar that I can use rather than installing a new one somewhere
this is a 5 year old thread, but I can tell you the factory mic if you have one will make you sound like you are down the hallway, if the head unit includes a mic i would just stick it at the top of the drivers side window pillar you will sound a hundred times better.
*also as a side note to the old thread the backup sensors only operate @5mph or less, so if you are backing up faster than 5mph the backup sensors cut off.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

They do for OnStar. Mine has OnStar but no Bluetooth. I tried to connect the factory mic to my new Pioneer and it wouldn't work. Tried reversing the polarity, etc. The factory and Pioneer mic's had considerably different impedances as well. Maybe a brand other than Pioneer will "work", but like Wes said, it may not work very well.

Oh- to save you the trouble: I mounted the Pioneer mic behind the factory mic's grille in the overhead console in trying to keep it stealthy. I aligned the holes in the mic, mainly the center one, with the ones in the grille the best I could. People I test called said I sounded distant or heard a lot of ambient noise. Judging by the slots in the side of the Pioneer mic, I'd say it may have some noise-cancelling features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094