Factory mic with aftermarket HU

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mtbennett24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the factory installed microphone with an aftermarket head unit (Pioneer AVIC series or Kenwood DNX series)? The factory stereo in my 09 Z71 has a mic installed (used with bluetooth and OnStar) in the ceiling already and I would like to keep that instead of mounting one that comes with the head unit in the A-Pillar.

Thanks

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi. Does anyone know if it is possible to use the factory installed microphone with an aftermarket head unit (Pioneer AVIC series or Kenwood DNX series)? The factory stereo in my 09 Z71 has a mic installed (used with bluetooth and OnStar) in the ceiling already and I would like to keep that instead of mounting one that comes with the head unit in the A-Pillar.

Thanks

Has anyone tried this? Wanting to do the same think. Pin outs from someone would be awesome so there is no need to trace wires from overhead to vcim

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been talked about a lot, but I don't know/think anyone has actually done it

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pioneer 8500 installed and retained the oem bluetooth phone in the car which uses the onstar mic. I can call using the pioneer or the car bluetooth. I don't even have a mic hooked into the pioneer unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a pioneer 8500 installed and retained the oem bluetooth phone in the car which uses the onstar mic. I can call using the pioneer or the car bluetooth. I don't even have a mic hooked into the pioneer unit.

How is that possible though? I don't understand the concept behind it. I got stock bluetooth and onstar. When I place/receive incoming call with 8500, I can hear the caller but the caller can't hear me unless I plug in 8500's mic. So I want to unpair my phone from stock BT and use ONLY 8500 for call. Would love to hear your input. Also, (i haven't test it yet), were you able to use HDMI input from external source (not the phone with appradio app) but, we'll say, an external blueray player? Instructions are unclear on this matter. Crutchfield states it is only for AppRadio mode but peeps from avic411 mention that they are able to use HDMI as input for any external source. This set up is taking me a month to get everything right. I noticed you had an issue with mute wire being engaged all the time and when you press onstar, 8500 shuts off. If you haven't fixed it yet, add 10k ohm resistor between mute and accessory (brown and red) wires.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the harness I used just allows it to work. I didn't do anything special to make the mic work at all. I will say that when I answer calls the pioneer picks up first and sometimes the oem bluetooth will then take over from there, which also turns the unit off. But it's really not that big of a deal. I'm thinking your mute fix above will fix that too. You now have me thinking that if I unpair my phone from using the oem bluetooth that maybe only the 8500 will work. I'll try this.

Also I've got an 08 hybrid and to get the reverse camera to work while driving you need to connect it to a wire that's under the passenger seat. I haven't done this yet but plan on it.

Regarding the hdmi to other sources...I have not done this but I believe what they are saying regarding app radio mode is correct. You can split the hdmi from there to aftermarket monitors and it should work, just not on the factory RSE screen. If you could somehow connect hdmi from the app radio to the oem monitor then is should work but I'm not sure if that's even possible.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got adgm100 harness which is the universal one that comes with lots of extras. I got adbox1, adgm harness, and aswc, which should serve the same purpose as your harness and Mic should work. I don't understand how and why your factory BT will pick up a call if you unpair your phone from it and pair it only to 8500.
What wire under the seat and why under the seat and why under the seat? I am thinking if I connect to the right polarity wire, the camera would be engaged as if I was reversing. This is something I also don't understand yet:)
I didn't understand your HDMI reply. It is an input so from my understanding, i should be able to send a digital signal thought hdmi to 8500 which then will send it to wherever (from AV setting menu) whether its the HU itself, RES or any additional video output display.

jebt2921

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my tahoe the oem reverse camera module is under the passenger seat. Might be somewhere else in yours.

I believe NathanJax had monitors in each headrest that he got to work through the 8500 so you might want to shoot him a message if he doesn't chime in here.

TahoeLT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, makes sense. I didn't realize that rear cam has a module. What for I wounded. It's a simple video input source. Thanks, dude. I will try play with it this weekend. I am adding apple tv to this thing and really need hdmi so I don't have to convert to analog.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9

Latest posts