Factory Bose questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Well, after lots of decisions, I have figured out my plan, kind of. Being a big Android guy I really wanted an Android head unit but seen so many and a lot of them had very mixed reviews or features that I wanted. Well, I finally decided to go for it and placed my order tonight for the ATOTO A6 (The 2gig/32gig model - http://a.co/9HvnIfX). I also picked up a PAC RP5-GM11 (http://a.co/3Pm20Bs) to make it all work. I was also looking at the Axxess GMOS-014 but the reviews were not as good and it was $30 more and didn't include the module for the SWC, that was an extra $45. The only draw back I can see with the PAC unit is that it does not support fading but we'll see.

Now I know this head unit is not a $700+ Pioneer or anything so im not expecting it to behave like one. I just really like a lot of the features that the android head units offer.

Now I just hope that with this head unit that's in there now that the wiring is not a complete disaster. I haven't dug into it yet but I have a feeling something is not going to be right in that dash. Aint nothing I cant fix though.

With that, I want to say thank you to everyone for the insight and help in here. Now to figure out if I can make it work to keep my 3 row seat and have room for the proper air space for my 12" subs out of my suburban. Not looking like it. Nothing like the space I have in my suburban.

Pics and a small review and maybe an install video to come. It will be a week or two before I can get to it but it will be soon. This head unit in this thing is driving me crazy. While it sounds alright, having just a radio stinks! lol

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, after lots of decisions, I have figured out my plan, kind of. Being a big Android guy I really wanted an Android head unit but seen so many and a lot of them had very mixed reviews or features that I wanted. Well, I finally decided to go for it and placed my order tonight for the ATOTO A6 (The 2gig/32gig model - http://a.co/9HvnIfX). I also picked up a PAC RP5-GM11 (http://a.co/3Pm20Bs) to make it all work. I was also looking at the Axxess GMOS-014 but the reviews were not as good and it was $30 more and didn't include the module for the SWC, that was an extra $45. The only draw back I can see with the PAC unit is that it does not support fading but we'll see.

Now I know this head unit is not a $700+ Pioneer or anything so im not expecting it to behave like one. I just really like a lot of the features that the android head units offer.

Now I just hope that with this head unit that's in there now that the wiring is not a complete disaster. I haven't dug into it yet but I have a feeling something is not going to be right in that dash. Aint nothing I cant fix though.

With that, I want to say thank you to everyone for the insight and help in here. Now to figure out if I can make it work to keep my 3 row seat and have room for the proper air space for my 12" subs out of my suburban. Not looking like it. Nothing like the space I have in my suburban.

Pics and a small review and maybe an install video to come. It will be a week or two before I can get to it but it will be soon. This head unit in this thing is driving me crazy. While it sounds alright, having just a radio stinks! lol
Awesome. I’m looking forward to your thoughts on that head unit, especially since I just bought an 08 Silverado and all it has is the stock AM/FM/CD which has an aux input which works for playing Pandora from my iPhone. But since it’s Android it might not be compatible with an iPhone. Just don’t want to spend much on the stereo on this truck.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Well, this showed up today. I havent opened it yet. I still need to grab a few things, like an install kit and some wire connectors.

20180202_141258.jpg

I will have more pics/videos soon. I will make a new topic about everything when I do. Im stoked to get this hooked up though. First order of business, root this thing, hopefully.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Seeing those CB radios in the pic reminded me of how many mics I rewired during the CB craze. Wow.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Seeing those CB radios in the pic reminded me of how many mics I rewired during the CB craze. Wow.

Yeah, I have been into radio since I was a kid. I grew up in a trucking family and thats what I do also so it all goes hand in hand and my dad always had one when I was growing up and me being a bit of an electronics geek, they just stuck with me. Been in the CB thing for 30+ years. lol

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Well, I have had this Atoto A6 head unit in my truck for a little over month now and while there are two or three things that bug me from time to time, they arent deal breakers by any means for the price I paid for everything and I really like it and am more than happy with it. I have still yet to do a post and/or video on my thoughts on it but I will soon, I promise. Other than that, a few tweaks and it sounds great with the factory Bose system. Eventually I will get around top testing the output voltages of the RCA outputs to see if they are all over the place or not. I tested a Pumpkin head unit a while back that a friend had gotten for like $150 on ebay and the RCA output voltages were fluctuating like crazy making the amp and subs not sound all that great. Not horrible, but not great. Hopefully this doesnt have this issue.

Also, if anyone does buy one and is interested in rooting it, the nerd that I am, wrote a little how too and works perfect!
http://www.hippie459mn.com/main/atoto-a6-root/

:)

Tony Estrada

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, I have had this Atoto A6 head unit in my truck for a little over month now and while there are two or three things that bug me from time to time, they arent deal breakers by any means for the price I paid for everything and I really like it and am more than happy with it. I have still yet to do a post and/or video on my thoughts on it but I will soon, I promise. Other than that, a few tweaks and it sounds great with the factory Bose system. Eventually I will get around top testing the output voltages of the RCA outputs to see if they are all over the place or not. I tested a Pumpkin head unit a while back that a friend had gotten for like $150 on ebay and the RCA output voltages were fluctuating like crazy making the amp and subs not sound all that great. Not horrible, but not great. Hopefully this doesnt have this issue.

Also, if anyone does buy one and is interested in rooting it, the nerd that I am, wrote a little how too and works perfect!

Hey man, I am trying to run the exact same set up on a 05 escalade and I know its the same harness. Thing is I cannot get any sound to the speakers or my steering wheel controls to work. I tried following the link you posted, but it won't go anywhere do you thing you could lend a hand? I'm stumped, and have been trying for a couple days now and nothing.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

Hey man, I am trying to run the exact same set up on a 05 escalade and I know its the same harness. Thing is I cannot get any sound to the speakers or my steering wheel controls to work. I tried following the link you posted, but it won't go anywhere do you thing you could lend a hand? I'm stumped, and have been trying for a couple days now and nothing.
20200403_141945.jpg

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score

You cant just plug the head unit into the factory wiring. You need to get a PAC unit or something to go between if you plan to retain your factory Bose amp and factory chimes and steering wheel controls.

I used the PAC RP5-GM11 and works great! (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DHUA9VA/) It installs between the radio and the factory harness. I hope you didnt cut your factory harness cause if you did, you'll be putting it back together. With this it retained my factory rear entertainment controls, my onstar (even though I dont use it), my steering wheel controls (programmable in the head unit), my factory bose system, and the chime but I didnt hook my chime up. Someday maybe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austinsham