Factory Bose questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2004 Tahoe LT and has the factory Bose speakers/system. Now being this is the newest vehicle I have ever owned aside from my Semi, I dont know a lot about all the fancy stuff in these. I do have a question though, How do I find out what Bose system I have? I do have the over head DVD player, the rear audio and climate control panel but I have been told if I have a factory bose system there is an amp and should be in the center counsel but when I pull out the cup holder deal, I dont see anything other than a wiring harness plug. No amp. Also, 100% certain someone changed out the factory radio at one time (maybe they had an aftermarket head unit and didnt want it to go with the truck) and none of the steering wheel controls work, except the phone button as it will kill the radio and say phone on the radio but thats it and all the other steering wheel functions work. The dinger deal works through the speakers as well. I havent tried any of the OnStar stuff as I dont have a subscription for it and not sure if you can "test" it or not. I dont know anything how that works I guess. But my main question is I guess, I am looking at getting a new head unit soon and I know I will need an adapter to make everything work right but I want to make sure I get the right thing so my rear audio stuff works again and all my OnStar and SWC work again. I havent taken the radio out that is in there now to see what is all going on yet (been around zero deg here for the last 2 weeks and I dont have a garage). So, how do I tell what I should have or what I dont have? Is there something in the vin or something that will tell me? I have attached a few pics so you can see what im working with here and maybe help better explain what im talking about. Thanks for any help.

Here is the harness/plug in the center counsel. No amp or anything resembling an amp in there.

20180109_212326_resized.jpg

Here is the head unit that is not factory. I have no idea what it came out of to be honest. And also, just for the heck of it, my rear audio and climate controls.

20180109_212330_resized.jpg

20180109_212408_resized.jpg

Dont mind the pictures. Needs some cleaning and I will get to that very soon.

Also, while the rear audio controls do not work, the climate controls on the panel do work just fine. I have an 8 year old so would love to have this all working again the way it should, or close to it. lol

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2004 Tahoe LT and has the factory Bose speakers/system. Now being this is the newest vehicle I have ever owned aside from my Semi, I dont know a lot about all the fancy stuff in these. I do have a question though, How do I find out what Bose system I have? I do have the over head DVD player, the rear audio and climate control panel but I have been told if I have a factory bose system there is an amp and should be in the center counsel but when I pull out the cup holder deal, I dont see anything other than a wiring harness plug. No amp. Also, 100% certain someone changed out the factory radio at one time (maybe they had an aftermarket head unit and didnt want it to go with the truck) and none of the steering wheel controls work, except the phone button as it will kill the radio and say phone on the radio but thats it and all the other steering wheel functions work. The dinger deal works through the speakers as well. I havent tried any of the OnStar stuff as I dont have a subscription for it and not sure if you can "test" it or not. I dont know anything how that works I guess. But my main question is I guess, I am looking at getting a new head unit soon and I know I will need an adapter to make everything work right but I want to make sure I get the right thing so my rear audio stuff works again and all my OnStar and SWC work again. I havent taken the radio out that is in there now to see what is all going on yet (been around zero deg here for the last 2 weeks and I dont have a garage). So, how do I tell what I should have or what I dont have? Is there something in the vin or something that will tell me? I have attached a few pics so you can see what im working with here and maybe help better explain what im talking about. Thanks for any help.

Here is the harness/plug in the center counsel. No amp or anything resembling an amp in there.

20180109_212326_resized.jpg

Here is the head unit that is not factory. I have no idea what it came out of to be honest. And also, just for the heck of it, my rear audio and climate controls.

20180109_212330_resized.jpg

20180109_212408_resized.jpg

Dont mind the pictures. Needs some cleaning and I will get to that very soon.

Also, while the rear audio controls do not work, the climate controls on the panel do work just fine. I have an 8 year old so would love to have this all working again the way it should, or close to it. lol

If you're not Mr audio upgrade, I would try to find a stock nav radio for it. It would need to be keyed to your VIN, but would get all your features back. My .02

Edit... Now that I've thought for more than a minute, there was a recent thread on a easy way to unlock any factory radio so you don't need to get it "programed"

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
I plan to put an aftermarket head unit in and I know PAC and Axxess both make adapters but it looks like the PAC one will let me retain my rear audio controls along with the OnStar and SWC but just wasnt sure what I would need or what kind of Bose system I have seeing I dont seem to see any kind of amp in the system. I was looking at some of the factory nav and standard head units but man, I can get a nice aftermarket one that does 4x as much for half the price. lol I am a bit of an audio guy but just never dealt with this Bose system stuff before. My 97 Suburban I didnt have to worry about any of that and changing out the factory speakers and what not was simple and no adapters or anything needed. LoL

MCAT069

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are your rpo codes? Or request a build sheet from customer service so you know what it had from the factory. This is what the premium Bose amp looks like. It is mounted under the metal bracket and I had to remove the center console to access it when I converted to the Bose Lux. amp. IMG_20180110_0650199.jpg

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
What are your rpo codes? Or request a build sheet from customer service so you know what it had from the factory. This is what the premium Bose amp looks like. It is mounted under the metal bracket and I had to remove the center console to access it when I converted to the Bose Lux. amp. View attachment 190328

I am not at home at the moment and wont be until Friday but where can I find the RPO codes at? A sticker in the truck somewhere or something? I will have to take another look for the amp as well.

Am I the only one who is fairly certain that the head unit in the OP's post came out of a Hyundai?

2005_hyundai_santa-fe_4dr-suv_gls_cc_oem_1_500.jpg

YIKES! It sure looks like it. Hope they didnt booger up a bunch of wires in the dash to make that radio work in there. Even if they did, I know I can make it right and work as it should but it will just be a way bigger job.

Thanks for the info so far. :)

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I am not at home at the moment and wont be until Friday but where can I find the RPO codes at? A sticker in the truck somewhere or something? I will have to take another look for the amp as well.

YIKES! It sure looks like it. Hope they didnt booger up a bunch of wires in the dash to make that radio work in there. Even if they did, I know I can make it right and work as it should but it will just be a way bigger job.

Thanks for the info so far. :)

RPO sticker is in your glove box.

OP
OP
Hippie459MN

Hippie459MN

Reaction score
Ok, I was able to run by the house quick and found the decal.

010201894127.jpg

Also, while digging around in the truck, a lot more, I found all of the information that came with the truck when it was new and a lot of other info. Found the factory OnStar packet, unopened, the XM Raio packet, unopened, all of the owners manuals, warranty info booklet, and to my surprise, even the original window sticker from when it was new and I guess I have a flex fuel 5.3, something I did not know. I also found an insurance claim and a complete repair invoice from a dealership for some front end damage repair in 2011. Hmmm... They sure did a great job fixing it cause I never would have guessed it. And a few other misc things. I have only had this truck for a month and to be honest, I never looked under the rear seats really but i'm glad I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC