Exterior door handle broken? Doesn't retract

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warriorpluto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(not talking about the mounting points that always go bad on these handles) I tried to open my rear door on my 07 Yukon Denali and I heard something on the inside of the door pop. Now when I try to open the door nothing happens. The handle just goes in and out freely with no retraction. Do the clips usually break in the inside that hold the rods? Even worse I had child lock on so I can't even open the freaking door from the inside. I have to get this done today because I have a baby with car seat. It was a hassle this morning dropping my kids off at school and me having to twist and turn the car seat to let them out. Ugh. The lkq in my area has a chrome door handle but I want to be sure if this is the problem before I go out and spend the 35$

NeverSatisfied

eBay Baller
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah the clips will break on the inside as well. same thing happened to my front pass door handles the other month. I've had 2 break by the mounting points and the one break and not open the door or retract. There's plastic clips that hold a metal hook that's attached to a spring that opens and retracts the door handle

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
That should be fun trying to get the door open to actually perform the work needed.

dwells2010LT

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i too was blessed with the door handle breaking off and a buddy of mine thought it was the child lock. So instead of unlocking the child lock he engaged it. Now door won't open from the inside or out. I've tried using a pair of needle nose pliers to reach in from the exterior hole where the handle pivots out with no such luck. Anyone have any ideas of getting door open or interior panel off while door is closed?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
might have to use some kind of specialized slim jim or take it to a locksmith, otherwise use one of those flexible neck camera tools and look inside while you use another pick tool to open the mechanism which is probably what the locksmith will use anyway. it can be done in this manner without tearing stuff apart.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy a new handle,painters tape up around it, and break it off. Im sure a few hard yanks and the thing will pull right off. They are cheap plastic

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
But a new handle,painters tape up around it, and break it off. Im sure a few hard yanks and the thing will pull right off. They are cheap plastic

YYEEAAAHHHH!!!!!!

And if that don't work, get a bigger hammer!

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
went to an Auction yesterday a 2013 chevy truck had four broken door handles, I think it was a repo, anyhow like Galante said break the handle off and push down on the rod to open the door.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I would be very hesitant to just bust it off, I like straight lines to much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts